Thread: Potty training

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Potty training

Im a bit worried about this!
    My mindee has just turned 15 months old, and her Mum has been talking about potty training her in the near future. She seems to be under the impression that all babies are fully potty trained by 18 months! Now im not claiming to be an expert on the subject but i know this is not the case!
    Is it reasonable for me, as a childcare professional, to advise her that it is too soon to start potty training?! Her daughter is nowhere near ready- she has only recently started pulling herself up on furniture so is not mobile enough yet. She also does not have the communication skills to tell someone that she needs to use the potty/ toilet. She shows no signs at all of being anywhere near ready.
    Perhaps rather selfishly, i do not want her to start potty training so soon because i know it will result in me needing to pay to have my carpets cleaned!!!

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Potty training

Quote Originally Posted by snufflepuff View Post
    My mindee has just turned 15 months old, and her Mum has been talking about potty training her in the near future. She seems to be under the impression that all babies are fully potty trained by 18 months! Now im not claiming to be an expert on the subject but i know this is not the case!
    Is it reasonable for me, as a childcare professional, to advise her that it is too soon to start potty training?! Her daughter is nowhere near ready- she has only recently started pulling herself up on furniture so is not mobile enough yet. She also does not have the communication skills to tell someone that she needs to use the potty/ toilet. She shows no signs at all of being anywhere near ready.
    Perhaps rather selfishly, i do not want her to start potty training so soon because i know it will result in me needing to pay to have my carpets cleaned!!!
    I would talk to the parent and let her know your concerns, I have 2 year olds still in nappies. If mum really wants it doing then she should try herself first. Lol she will soon give up

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I would talk to the parent and let her know your concerns, I have 2 year olds still in nappies. If mum really wants it doing then she should try herself first. Lol she will soon give up
    Thank you. I used to run the 2 year olds room in a nursery and pretty much every chIld was potty trained while in our room- a few not until they turned 3. I remember one child started potty training really early, and they were still having several accidents a day almost a year later!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snufflepuff View Post
    I have a 12 months old boy and his mum want me to start potty training.... ?????? Where they get this ideas from...???

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think if they show an interest in the potty they think they are ready. I do know a few children properly dry by 18 months but this is rare- I think 2 1/2 is nearer the mark.

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

We're just starting with my DD, and she's 2 1/2. In her link-up group (ages 2-3) there are only 2 others potty trained and they're the older ones.

Although Ive been under pressure from my mum to do it since she was 18months as apparently I was dry by then. But when you talk to my mum I was having lots of accidents for a good year. Im determined to let her do it at her own pace, to save the stress and the cleaning kids start school at 3 here, so we have to have her dry by then which is totally reasonable.

may 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are concerned lo is not ready refer mum to internet or health visitor.
    I always get parents to start it off when they have a good few days, preferably a week, to get it done. In my experience if a child is ready it will work in that time. The most important thing is that the child wants to do it, you cannot force it, and a child needs to be aware that they need to go and say.
    There is absolutely no reason to try before the child is showing signs that they are ready as it usually creates problems for all .
    Good luck, just be honest in your observations and you can work together in the best interests of the child.
    Carol x