Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar '08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default school holidays for after schoolers

Hi All

I am just about up and running and have gone back to my 3 enquiries who are all asking questions I don't know the answers to!!!

I just wondered what to do in school holiday time for before and after school mindees - I said to one mum that I wouldn't charge for school hols but I would take a deposit at the end of summer term to keep the childs place for September start....is this right - does it sound fair? Can anyone help?

I have more questions but will post it separately to give new title!

Thanks in advance. x x

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: school holidays for after schoolers

Sorry I cant really help with this one

My before and after schoolers do not come during holidays but I dont take a retainer / or deposit

I have other children during the school holidays that cover for them so it never bothers me

I know a lot do take a deposit though to keep the place open so I am sure someone will let you know how much they charge

Angel xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a school age child who doesn't come in the holidays and take a half fee retainer to keep the place open. Parents seem happy with his, remember deposits are fundable state retainer.

Avril x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't charge unless I work - I take the time out with my own children at the moment but in the past I have done a holiday club which was great fun

Post Thanks / Like

If a parent doesn't need a place at all during school holidays I charge a retainer of £5.00 a week to keep the place for them

It's up to you what suits you best

Miffy xx

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Two of my parents are teachers so they very rarely need me during school hols. I charge a 50% retainer to keep their space.

amanda xx

Apr 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't charge retainers for school children during the school holidays but they all pay in advance. So for weekly payers, their payment this week is for childcare during the first week back after Easter, and their next payment is not due until they are back to school. I've put in the contracts that where a payment date occurs during a holiday the parent agrees to make their payment prior to the commencement of the holiday, unless they've arranged automatic payments.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Six of my mindees belong to teachers so if I didn't charge a retainer ( I charge 50% ) I would be skint come September. I have just taken on two rising fives for holiday only care from September so that will help with the money.

Apr 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any school aged children at the moment but when I did I used to charge 50% retainer to ensure that the place is still there come September.

Don't forget that if you charge a retainer then you must be available to work for that period of time should the parent want you to......you need to remember this if you take on other children during the school holidays!
    Dee
    Independent Cambridge Diet Counsellor

Life may not be the party we hoped for.......but while we're here we should dance!

Mar '08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeb66 View Post
    I don't have any school aged children at the moment but when I did I used to charge 50% retainer to ensure that the place is still there come September.

Don't forget that if you charge a retainer then you must be available to work for that period of time should the parent want you to......you need to remember this if you take on other children during the school holidays!
    Thanks for the great advice - can I just ask .... should I therefore ask for a deposit if I get holiday care - but doesn't a deposit mean it can be refunded - I just want to try and make sure that I don't get into the situation of keeping a place for it to then not be needed at late notice - I'm starting to think that I'm going to have to just be very trusting for the parents!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure I understand the question but a deposit is usually held against future fees but is not refundable if the person fails to take up the place.

Is that what you meant?

Miffy xx