Incident or accident report
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Incident or accident report

Friend of mine has a lo in a nursery (it's not good), her lo was bitten today by another child- it left marks on her arm!.The nursery gave her an accident report - was this right? To me,it should have been an incident report? Surely a child biting another child is no accident?? Not been minding for long,so probab;y am totally wrong.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Incident or accident report

It's a bit of both...

The child who did the biting will have an incident report because s/he caused an incident...

The child who was bitten will have an accident report because s/he has had an accident.

Unfortunately it's quite common especially in children who struggle with speech.

I've had a couple of biters over the years and it's awful telling parents both ways but however closely you shadow some children they bite the moment your back is turned

I hope your friend's dd is ok xx

aug 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'GOOD'
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dippy bird View Post
    Friend of mine has a lo in a nursery (it's not good), her lo was bitten today by another child- it left marks on her arm!.The nursery gave her an accident report - was this right? To me,it should have been an incident report? Surely a child biting another child is no accident?? Not been minding for long,so probab;y am totally wrong.
    i would have said bit of both like sarah, nurseries tend to have one format for both, the one i worked at did! my dd was bite last week by my new mindee, i was unsure should i have recorded it? it was my dd who was bitten so i wasn't sure? i didn't tell the parent as it was 1st ever incident, thought id give benefit of the doubt and see if it happens again, what are your views?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TammyN View Post
    my dd was bite last week by my new mindee, i was unsure should i have recorded it? it was my dd who was bitten so i wasn't sure? i didn't tell the parent as it was 1st ever incident, thought id give benefit of the doubt and see if it happens again, what are your views?
    Sorry to hear that happened to your dd Tammy.

My concern with biting is and always has been the health dangers involved.

Children might have blood conditions which mean they are infectious and parents have no legal requirement to tell us.

So yes I would have told the parents to see their reactions.

I hope things have settled down now xx