Would you give notice in order to earn more?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Would you give notice in order to earn more?

A local CM looks after a mindee 3 days a week. It can be any 3 days due to dad's shift patterns which change from week to week. Their contract states that the parents pay for 3 days each week - even though they are different days each week. The CM has had the mindee for some time and everything has been fine as far as I am aware. The CM has no vacancies but has been approached to look after a baby from June for 4 set days a week. The CM would have to give 4 weeks notice to the current mindee. And it woud obviously mean that the CM would be earning more money each week, and could also potentially take someone else on for the 1 day the new baby wouldn't be there. But it would mean no continuity of care for the current mindee. And also potentially leaving the mindee's parents desperately trying to find a child minder for their child with only 4 weeks notice (a friend of mine has really struggled to find a good CM recently in the same area)

What would you do?

I think I know what I would do, and it is different to what the CM has chosen to do, so I just wondered what the general opinion was?
    Francine X

may 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Would you give notice in order to earn more?

i have been in this situation before and i stuck with the original mindies because we had bonded and they were lovely even tho i could potentally of earnt 3 times as much, if i had really needed the money then i wouldnt have had a choice and would have given notice.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

it depends on lots of things. mainly what financial position i was in and whether i actually 'needed' the extra income rather than just wanting it! I would have to put my own childrens needs before mindee in that case. also what the long term view was - if i only had mindee 1 for another few months before going off to school but mindee 2 would be with me years potentially. And how well i got on with the first parent - how flexible , reliable etc they were and how valued i felt by them. So the answer is I dont know! not much help was I?

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

personaly i would keep with current child i know one days pay is more money but this child has settled , but maybe she should have charged for a full week as days change and she cant take on any other children...

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

I would keep the origional children and apply for a variation to take on another child.
    Busy losing the will to live mwuahahahaha!

Non childminder member
    Ex Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Like the others have said it would depend on a number of factors, money, whether new hours would fit into my current routine etc.
    I am suprised CM hasn't upped hourly rate or charged a retainer to recompense for the loss of potential income from being able to offer care on a fixed days. that would at least eliminate finance being at the heart of any decision.

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would go for the fixed for days - I am a business & not a charity - would feel awful though! (Actually having said that I would have negotiated a retainer for the days not used & then not have had to make the decision in the first place)!
    Blaze x

June 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    6 and 5's
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the above responses I would keep with the orginal mindee. She has made a commitment to the child and family and should not be advertising that she has a vacancy as there is no place without "getting rid" of a current child in her care.

Kind Regards

Ps Interested to hear what she did decide and what you would have done!
    claire

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I took up childminding so that I could be at home with my children and earn a living BUT that doesn't come at the expense of another family or their child.

I couldn't in good concience take on a child and then ditch them because something better came along. I wouldn't take on the child in the first place or if I did I would charge a highly inflated price to compensate.

I think that continuity of care is the pinicale of my business and I wouldn't sacrifice any childs security to financially better myself.

If this is happening to someone you know, could you suggest that she/he goes back to the current parent and explain why she may have to consider notice and maybe they could come to a compromise or as someone has already said take on the extra and apply for an overlap?
    Debbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would keep the origional mindee. Once I have made a commitment to a family I stick to it. I have never given anyone notice although the situation has arisen where I could have earned more money by doing that.

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think i would have had a minimum i was willing to earn a week and charged her that.

I would not take 3 days pay for a full weeks place in the first instance.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    I would go for the fixed for days - I am a business & not a charity - would feel awful though! (Actually having said that I would have negotiated a retainer for the days not used & then not have had to make the decision in the first place)!
    I agree with making sure a retainer was taken in the first place, but ethically if I had agreed to those terms unless things were becoming awkward with parents or finances at breakpoint I don't think I could give notice for extra cash.

I think I'd rather discuss with parents about the finances and maybe negotiate a retainer due to lost business on days she is holding.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting! And thanks for all your replies!

The CM has signed a contract with the new parents to start looking after their baby in June and is going to give the original parents notice in May.

I would have continued with the first parents as if I had their little one and someone approached me asking if I had vacancies my answer would have been no!

The CM in question has asked me "if you want X you can have him in June" as I am newly registered and so have vacancies. I just feel so sorry for the mindee and his parents - they have no idea about what is going to happen and it has shocked me. I wasn't sure if it was normal practice or not?
    Francine X

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by francinejayne View Post
    Interesting! And thanks for all your replies!

The CM has signed a contract with the new parents to start looking after their baby in June and is going to give the original parents notice in May.

I would have continued with the first parents as if I had their little one and someone approached me asking if I had vacancies my answer would have been no!

The CM in question has asked me "if you want X you can have him in June" as I am newly registered and so have vacancies. I just feel so sorry for the mindee and his parents - they have no idea about what is going to happen and it has shocked me. I wasn't sure if it was normal practice or not?
    just make sure if you take him, you put a retainer in place for the other two days hon. I think some people's business sense can be a bit unethical. Better to start off on the right foot.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I like to think I can offer continuity of care

I did have a decision to make last year when 2 sibling mindees came to see me for 2 full days - I could fit them both if I gave notice to a 4 hour once a week mindee. The difference of £145 to £16 was understandably a big factor!

I explained to mum of 4 hour mindee, she was very understanding and I offered a swap of days which she took - wanting also to support me in my situation, worked out well for all.

Then I moved 6 months later, siblings gave notice and other lo went to nursery anyway
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Feb 01
    Post Thanks / Like

That poor child, perhaps it's for the best he will be going to someone else, hopefully someone who is more loyal to him and his family!!

My answer would have been sorry, I 'm full, can't take anyone else on, this childminder gives the rest of a bad name!!!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PixiePetal View Post
    I like to think I can offer continuity of care

I did have a decision to make last year when 2 sibling mindees came to see me for 2 full days - I could fit them both if I gave notice to a 4 hour once a week mindee. The difference of £145 to £16 was understandably a big factor!

I explained to mum of 4 hour mindee, she was very understanding and I offered a swap of days which she took - wanting also to support me in my situation, worked out well for all.

Then I moved 6 months later, siblings gave notice and other lo went to nursery anyway
    I think that when a 4 hour/week is stopping you taking on what little work there is, there is a good argument for this. but, you did the right thing and offered the mum an option.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    just make sure if you take him, you put a retainer in place for the other two days hon. I think some people's business sense can be a bit unethical. Better to start off on the right foot.
    Thanks I will bear it in mind if he does come to me. His parents live in the next town to me so I would have thought they will try and find someone closer to home anyway. What would you charge as a retainer in this situation?
    Francine X

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Probey9 View Post
    That poor child, perhaps it's for the best he will be going to someone else, hopefully someone who is more loyal to him and his family!!

My answer would have been sorry, I 'm full, can't take anyone else on, this childminder gives the rest of a bad name!!!
    Thanks!
    Blaze x

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by francinejayne View Post
    Thanks I will bear it in mind if he does come to me. His parents live in the next town to me so I would have thought they will try and find someone closer to home anyway. What would you charge as a retainer in this situation?
    at least half I would say.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast