Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What's an acceptable mileage charge?

I'm working out what to quote for my enquiry from September to pick up at a school which is 4.5 miles away (test run today!).

I was thinking of charge 50p per mile (i.e. 9 miles @ 50p = £4.50 per day). Does this sound about right?
    Cazz x

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's an acceptable mileage charge?

Problem is, if you charge by miles then you are a taxi driver. Best thing to do is to charge this parent a higher hourly fee and then recoup the mileage via your expenses, we are allowed 40p per mile for any trips done on the behalf of mindees.
    If you still want to charge by mile, then you will need to register with your local authority as a taxi
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont know anyone who charges parents milage...

I would just reflect it in my fees and then claim the 40p per mile as expense.

As parent I wouldt want to pay my cm per mile driven to be honest...
    Nicole xx

june 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

one mindee i dont charge the parents mileage as i have to take my daughter to the same pre school however i have another child that i mind for 1.5hrs every morning and take him to a different nursery so i do charge her a higher hourly fee.

Although this is only a 2 mile around trip not 9 miles like yours would be. I wouldnt charge her money per mile i would just increase your hourly rate.

Hope this helps

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

if you charge a higher rate i dont think you can then claim the 40p a mile fuel allowance
    IS BACK

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    Problem is, if you charge by miles then you are a taxi driver. Best thing to do is to charge this parent a higher hourly fee and then recoup the mileage via your expenses, we are allowed 40p per mile for any trips done on the behalf of mindees.
    If you still want to charge by mile, then you will need to register with your local authority as a taxi
    Blimey - I never realised that!

Thank goodness I asked the question before I phoned her - I'll be quoting her a higher hourly rate then to incorporate the travelling expenses.

My usual hourly rate is £3.20, do you think £4.50 is acceptable then?

Also, I don't know yet if she wants holiday cover - if she did and would be bringing the child to me, would you still keep her at £4.50 or revert back to the £3.20? Need to get it clear in my head what I should quote her.
    Cazz x

TheBTeam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cazz View Post
    Blimey - I never realised that!

Thank goodness I asked the question before I phoned her - I'll be quoting her a higher hourly rate then to incorporate the travelling expenses.

My usual hourly rate is £3.20, do you think £4.50 is acceptable then?

Also, I don't know yet if she wants holiday cover - if she did and would be bringing the child to me, would you still keep her at £4.50 or revert back to the £3.20? Need to get it clear in my head what I should quote her.
    I would keep the rate set the same, you dont want it to be seen for insurance purposes that you are being paid for the journey, if it then turns out that this is really not competitive when being paid for the full day, work out say a 10 or 20% discount given for a certain number of minded hours, and then it isn't because of any journeys.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheBTeam View Post
    I would keep the rate set the same, you dont want it to be seen for insurance purposes that you are being paid for the journey, if it then turns out that this is really not competitive when being paid for the full day, work out say a 10 or 20% discount given for a certain number of minded hours, and then it isn't because of any journeys.
    Thank you - that's a good idea!
    Cazz x