Potential Parents and Pets
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Potential Parents and Pets

Well I signed up with childcare.co.uk yesterday, and have had two quite positive replies to some emails I sent out.

One parent though wants to know if anyone smokes and if we have pets.

We're a non-smoking household but do have a cat (who I didnt have when I've had vacancies in the past)

Just wondering if anyone found that parents are put off by pets, and if the question is asked, its likely to be because they dont want their child in a home with a pet.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

sep 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Potential Parents and Pets

maybe the child has a pet allergy? some parents like that you have a pet, i have a labrador, he is 9 months and insane! no parent has been put off yet, or even asked me about what i do with him while working ect. its all in my policies, if they read them!

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It could be to do with allergies , I would use a minder with dogs , but not cats. Maybe you could email them a copy of your pet policy so they can see that although you have a pet you will put the safety of their child foremost?

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a house rabbit and 2 hamsters and all the parents love their kids being able to stroke them. Obviously you risk assess and wash hands after etc but its a great way for them to learn how to treat animals. Different however if child has allergies, maybe the parent would like you to have pets?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would ask that question as I have an allergy to cats and ds has lots of allergies.

Best just to answer honestly and not worry - for everyone with an allergy there's a potential family without

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I get mixed reactions, some people love the fact we have rabbits, guneapigs, gerbils dog and cat and others are put off by it, I get parents with children that are scared of dogs come and visit and sign up because they want their children to not be scared of dogs, although i have to say ours is the laziest lab around! ,
    I always make a point of puttting in all my ads and informing potential parents that i hav a dog because of allergies before they even visit though.

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

i have pets and so far no one has been put off
    IS BACK

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had children who have got over a fear of dogs by coming to my house. I am sure one mum wishes she hadnt chosen me to look after her children and they ended up getting a puppy which nearly gave her a breakdown. cos the children loved my old lazy labrador so much.

I always have said to people during the initial phonecall that I have a dog and no one has ever said, no thanks and all that have visited have chosen me as their CM, so my dog hasnt put them off.

Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be put off by dogs personally but not cats, but wouldn't worry for everyone that would be put off there's another 5 who wouldn't be

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

In the middle of constructing my reply and I've explained about the cat and offered to send a copy of my pet policy if required.

Thank you girlies

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

i had one lady tell me that there was no way she would let her children near aminals i politely told her that i was not the right minder for her

but i do tell all parents when they have phoned that i have 2 cats and 2 large dogs

ive filled all my places
    heaven = bar of galaxy

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mushpea View Post
    I get mixed reactions, some people love the fact we have rabbits, guneapigs, gerbils dog and cat and others are put off by it, I get parents with children that are scared of dogs come and visit and sign up because they want their children to not be scared of dogs, although i have to say ours is the laziest lab around! ,
    I always make a point of puttting in all my ads and informing potential parents that i hav a dog because of allergies before they even visit though.
    i agree with mushpea, and the same applies here
    One life live it

Aug2007
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always managed to fill my spaces and only once had a parent not send her child and that was because she had a fear of animals!

I have a dog (due to have puppies any day), 4 bearded dragons, 2 chameleons, 10 snakes, 6 leopard geckos and 10 crested geckos!

All my current parents love the fact that their children are given the experience to handle exotic animals!
    Lucy

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

i lost a potential mindee - full time - because i have dogs and the dad who would be dropping and collecting was allergic.

I was a bit annoyed but wouldnt give up my dogs.

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

Parent was fine and is coming to see me on Friday, cat hasnt been mentioned since. So tis all good