Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default help please - nappy rash

Am hoping someone on here can give me an idea of something that neither I nor the parent has thought of.....

Child is 18months and teething (girl) - she has severe nappy rash to the point that some days it is almost blistering and bleeding, as well as being very red and spotty the rest of the time. Obviously the child is extremely uncomfortable and cries uncontrollably at nappy change time, particularly with a dirty nappy.

Mum and I have spoken at length to try to work together and have totally run out of things to try and I suggested posting on here to hope someone can help and she is happy for me to ask

Does anyone have any suggestions on what would help or what to avoid making it worse?

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: help please - nappy rash

Has the mother been to the doctors with her yet? The cause could be any number of things.
    Jan

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Not as far as I am aware - she just thinks its teething and to be honest I have to agree with her as when she isnt teething there is no rash at all.... (so I dont think its down to diet or an allergy with washing powder etc)

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I highly recomend Metanium (CAREFUL THOUGH IT STAINS)- you can buy it at any chemist or you can get it on prescrition
    Blaze x

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what creams you might have tried but my DS had bad nappy rash from both food and teething and the only thing that cleared it up was Metanium. The HV prescribed it to begin with, but didn't realise it was only about £3 to buy anyway from the chemist.

March09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Fullers Earth Cream - have to ask for it at chemist - its fantastic, my little one also had blistering etc. which is scarey when it all appears so quickly - one nappy change there's nothing & the next they are red raw & blistering. This sorted out her rash within a couple of nappy changes!!
    Its also really cheap so you can plaster it on! Highly recommended
    H x

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, paused in the middle of writing the reply so didn't see the other post saying the same thing!

Sept 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i think certain fruits can cause bad nappy rash off the top of my head strawberries ,grapes ,raisins , oranges . also a sensitivity to wheat so weetabix can trigger it too . x

aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    I highly recomend Metanium (CAREFUL THOUGH IT STAINS)- you can buy it at any chemist or you can get it on prescrition
    exactly what i was going to recomend!!!! my son was bleeding with his nappy rash when wee, it was awfull!! i tried bepanthan, sudocrem, egg whites, notihing worked until metanium was prescribed for him. it goes on as a thick yellow clay like substance, bit whiffy too but honestly it is amazing!! only a thin layer needs to be applied at each nappy change. but yes it does stain if gets on vest etc but when its a bleeding sore bottom i didnt care if it got onto anything xx
    x x

aug 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i had a mindee with same prob this was only thing that worked

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

another member here of the metanium appreciation society! it is amazing stuff !

Aug 01
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always used Bepanthum and that seems to work. I would get the mum to take her to the doctors to have it checked out

Jan-10
    Post Thanks / Like

Metanium for us too.

Although the pharmasist said that when it was bleeding and open not to put anything on it as it can be absorbed, recommended just a warm bath and open air as much as possible.

Good Luck

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

i agree (sorry have just seen this post )

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Metanium for us too. My eldest two never really suffered from this; unfortunately my youngest has terrible rash sometimes, he has raw weeping blisters, it looks so painful and he's hysterical when I try to change him. I took him to the dr who prescribed me metanium - it's ace!!! Within a few hours it makes a diffeence, within a couple of days it's completely gone.
    I'm still battling with my son's, hopefully I can potty train him in the summer?!
    x
    Francine X

JUNE 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Another metanium fan its magic
    "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."

Aug 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Morhullin cream is also fantastic, it's a cold liver oil ointment no chemicals or additives, just smother area in it, works wonders. It can be hard to get hold of though, Boots do it, but you have to ask.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

another Metanium fan here! super stuff (also good for drying up acne!)

something i used to use was a drop of lavender oil mixed into a little bit of sudocrem. as well as being a healing agent, the lavender smell gets stronger when nappy is wet or dirty !!! but take care to use oil that is suitable for use on the skin.

the other best thing is lots of fresh air, and my health tutor at college used to say 'cover the bottom in raw egg white and leave them in the sun' ... can't say i have ever tried it!

Oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We used it all the time when I was nursing at Gt Ormond St....it is fantastic stuff ,I always recommend it to my parents.
    It has a coal tar base to it which gives it a distictive smell. The smell takes me back to my childhood .....before the advent of steroid creams for the treatment of eczema, back then the only treatment was a coal tar paste applied to the sore areas. In fact my son was in hospital 20yrs ago and they treated his eczema with coal tar paste bandages.

ooh forgot to say we used to use beaten egg white on sore bottoms as well.....when it dries it forms a clear layer ...the protein is supposed to aid healing
    Last edited by sonia ann; 25-01-2010 at 08:16 PM.

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sonia ann View Post
    We used it all the time when I was nursing at Gt Ormond St....it is fantastic stuff ,I always recommend it to my parents.
    It has a coal tar base to it which gives it a distictive smell. The smell takes me back to my childhood .....before the advent of steroid creams for the treatment of eczema, back then the only treatment was a coal tar paste applied to the sore areas. In fact my son was in hospital 20yrs ago and they treated his eczema with coal tar paste bandages.

ooh forgot to say we used to use beaten egg white on sore bottoms as well.....when it dries it forms a clear layer ...the protein is supposed to aid healing
    I used to have my excema treated with coal tar paste bandages when I was a kid!
    Blaze x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast