Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What to Expect Getting Started

Hey Guys

Well I made the call ! I am going to see our local authorities about childminding in 2 weeks, where they will explain what I need to do to and what childminding fully involves. I have a million and one questions and sre will be firing some your way as I go along the procedure, however

I know I need insurance, compleate courses and loads of other stuff but was wondering at wondering on average what does to cost to get set up ?

I have 2 and half year old twins myself so have all the basic stuff such as highchairs, stair gates, toys I still have one of the cots (would I need a cot ?) I know you can apply for a grant to help you set up but how much does the courses, membership crb checks for me and hubby, car, home and presuming pulic liability insurance cost obviosly i would only be amending my home and car insurance so how much more would these be ( I have a picasso ).

I have two under 5s myself i know that I would be able to take one more under 5 can you have an additional one if they are under the age of 1 and then 3 over 5s

How long does it take to do the courses and get set up to a point where you can take in your first child ?

So many more questions to ask but will leave it at that for now.

Thanks in advance x

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What to Expect Getting Started

ok - dont worry!
    Home and car insurance , depends who youre with but my car insurance was something like £12 a year more , and home insurance stayed the same.
    courses are all free here ( first aid and icp) , though that may depend on the area.
    crb checks are included in the ofsted application fee , which for the life of me i cant remember , is it £35? im sure someone will be along who'll know!
    I got the ncma pack which included their membership,personal liability insurance , and start-up paperwork. it didnt 'cost' me anything but was deducted from what i could claim for other start up costs. max grant in this area is £275 but again could differ between areas. Only main expense prior to starting was for the doctors check , i claimed back this and other costs from the grant once i was registered.

from appling to offsted to registration for me took about 3 months. but in some areas you need to do your icp course first , i did mine after registration.

your numbers will depend on the space you have as well as the ages of your children. the max is 1 under 1 , 3 under 5 , 6 under 8 but these numbers include your own ( a four year old at full time school is also classed as 5 , just to confuse things!)

Hope this has helped , and you'll start to get a much clearer picture once you do your briefing sessions.

Good Luck x x

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    ok - dont worry!
    Home and car insurance , depends who youre with but my car insurance was something like £12 a year more , and home insurance stayed the same.
    courses are all free here ( first aid and icp) , though that may depend on the area.
    crb checks are included in the ofsted application fee , which for the life of me i cant remember , is it £35? im sure someone will be along who'll know!
    I got the ncma pack which included their membership,personal liability insurance , and start-up paperwork. it didnt 'cost' me anything but was deducted from what i could claim for other start up costs. max grant in this area is £275 but again could differ between areas. Only main expense prior to starting was for the doctors check , i claimed back this and other costs from the grant once i was registered.

from appling to offsted to registration for me took about 3 months. but in some areas you need to do your icp course first , i did mine after registration.

your numbers will depend on the space you have as well as the ages of your children. the max is 1 under 1 , 3 under 5 , 6 under 8 but these numbers include your own ( a four year old at full time school is also classed as 5 , just to confuse things!)

Hope this has helped , and you'll start to get a much clearer picture once you do your briefing sessions.

Good Luck x x
    Yes I paid £35 for Ofsted, and my first aid was £30 and ICP £38. I've had to pay for all my NCMA stuff, I found it cheaper to buy what I needed separately rather than buy the pack containing everything as I already had a first aid kit and fire blanket. My dr charged me £30.

I had my pre-reg in November and I'm waiting for my CRBs now - then I'm registered!!!
    Francine X

pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guys thanks for your replys It seems a little more stright forward then I first thought although I still have a long haul before me ! lol

Thanks

Karen