Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you answer the door in your PJ's?

One of my mindees parents seem to find it remarkable that I'm always dressed with hair and make-up done when they drop M off. They seem to think I'm amazingly disciplined to do that??

You wouldn't turn up at any other job in your jim jams though would you?

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do you answer the door in your PJ's?

I am always showered, dressed and ready even when I used to start at 7.15. After all, you would have to leave your mindies unattended for some time if you had to shower and get ready

01/2006
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't dream of not being dressed and ready when the little ones arrived, even when one sometimes arrives at 6.45am!!
    Nicky xx

aly Guest

if they ahve turned up earlier than contracted i have done as it was their fault...i did once as i got up late and the one son keeps ringing bell so its easier if i flydownstairs and let them in without wakign everone up...but no generally i am dressed.

TheBTeam Guest

I would never open the door to a mindee who was expected in my pj's, i think how can you be ready for work if you are not even dressed and would not expect this from any minder if i had to choose one, how can they supervise my child effectively if they have to go and get dressed!

I do know of a childminder who sometimes does this but i really dont agree with it no matter how accommodating the parents were.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I am always showered and ready by 7.20. First mindee arrives at about 7.40. I'm usually hoovering at 6.15am, lucky I've got a very understanding OH isn't it.
    I do panic about oversleeping though. I mean if you have to go OUT to work then you could call in and say you're running late but when you've got parents knocking on your door. I'd be mortified if I wasn't ready and they arrived
    xxxxxxx

Feb 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You wouldnt arrive at the office in PJ's or sit on the till at Tesco in PJ's, and i would never take my doctor seriously again if she was wearing her PJ's at the surgery......think this parent needs educating on what the professional status of our job means

Pipsqueak Guest

I admit to having dodgy hair as I forgot to brush it!!! lol but never ever in my PJ's, how unprofessional that would be

Sept 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

im always ready before i answer the door ,makes me feel much more in control .. used to have a 7 am start and just used to open the door in dressig gown as it was 10 yr old so would then go and get ready . one day his dad came to the door to tell me something and i was mortified - my hair was everywhere ,no make up etc and i vowed it wouldnt happen again

Aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard about a CM getting a visit from Ofsted after a parent complained about them being in the Pjs when the mindee turned up. Ofsted were apparently not amused and gave CM a right telling off!!!

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't either - it's not very professional. But I know of other minders on my DHC who do this regularly
    Familiarity breeds contempt - and children Mark Twain

May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

No never!!
    but my dd is allowed to still wear her pj's or she might even still be in bed as they come quite early

i would open door in my pj's if they were early to make a point though!!
    Nicole xx

TheBTeam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhorse View Post
    No never!!
    but my dd is allowed to still wear her pj's or she might even still be in bed as they come quite early

i would open door in my pj's if they were early to make a point though!!
    My children are often in bed and we try to get them to get dressed upstairs before coming down on working days, but they are 7 and 11 so are old enough to do this without our help.

I also tell my parents if they turn up early and the blind is shut then we are not ready for business, when we are (which will always be by earliest start time) then the blind will be open, if it isn't under no circumstances are they to ring the bell as my children may be sleeping!

Post Thanks / Like

I am always showered and clothed and ready to go, if you are in your pj's how can you be taking care of the kids properly and it does not look professional, i admit there have been a few times when my son has been in his pj's but that was when i was starting very early and did not think it was fair to wake my son up that early in the school holidays

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I need the shower in the morning to wake me up! Never opened the door in PJs. Don't wear make up - one less job , but always dressed, checked house and ready for the day
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I did this morning!!

The door bell went and I thought it must be the red royal mail post van ,so off I trundled to answer the door ....... but it was 7.45 and my first mindee!!!!!

I mumbled something about alarms not going off and then had to get my kids up for school - they are supposed to leave at 7.50!

I don't think Parent actually noticed - all they said was E is wearing new boots (suede) and could she please not get them wet!!!

Marian x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm always fully ready when the first mindee arrives, no matter how early their start time is.

We were discussing this at a childminder drop in recently & I was surprised how many minders do go to the door in their PJs. Their arguement was that if the parents want an early start, they have to accept that the cm won't be ready. My arguement is that if you are being paid from that time, then you should be ready.
    One has a baby & school children arrive early. She sits them in front of the TV while she goes in the shower, gets her kids ready for school etc. I was really surprised, but she said parents are happy for her to do this.

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am fully dressed, etc when the children arrive.

I have a mum who asked me the same thing - "why don't you just answer the doors in your pj's?"

I like to be ready, I would hate to get up just before they arrived. I would need to be able to supervise them and i couldn't do that if I had to wash and get dressed and put my make up on, besides my own kids need to get up for school. Though I do start work early at 6.30 - 7am!

aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

oh i couldnt imagine not being ready when they come to the door!!!! i sometimes dont sleep at night for worry that i sleep in lol, i wouldnt even let the parents see my kids in their jammies, though if it was an expecially early drop off then id maybe not mind too much about them, but definatly not myself!!!! lol xx
    x x

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

blimey , i have to set the house up before they arrive - Dh wont have childminding overspill into our time - so all the notice boards etc to put up , toys to get out and all the rest. Usually takes me about an hour so have been up forever by the time they arrive. Although i must admit to sometimes still having wet hair!!! ( very long and straight and just comb it and leave it to dry itself!!) Ds is regularly running around in pjs or just pants!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast