Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Swine Flu help needed

One of my mindees parents has been diagnosed with swine flu today. I know I cant exclude their child if they are healthy (they have had a cold and chest infection recently but now on mend) but would I be legally within my rights to totally tighten up on sickness and exclude all children if showing any signs of illness, which would include the inevitable coughs and colds. Obviously as technically their child is ill I would still expect payment as per our contracts

Under normal circumstances I take them with minor colds as I wouldnt have a business to run if I didnt , but I am so worried about exposing people, especially over Christmas.

Obviously once the under 5's have had their vaccinations we could return to normal.

What would you do/ have you done?

Feb 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Swine Flu help needed

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/_doc/11...ildminders.doc

page 6

"as a rule you should not accept any child with respiratory symtoms during a pandemic"

so you are within your rights to impliment a tighter sickness policy during this pandemic.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Like you I would accept a child with a minor cold / cough etc as long as they could participate in normal everyday activites but I would NOT accept a child who has been diagnosed with swine flu, it's irresponsible to potentially pass it on to others. I would think you are within your rights to refuse this child.

xxxxx

0ct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

If a child is able to participate in activities with a cough or a cold I don't exclude if you wanted to I don't see how you can charge as you are effectively changing contracts to suit your new policy.
    But you could send a letter stating that you intend to change it and why.
    You are also presuming that the under 5's will have their jabs are you saying that you won't accept them if they don't?
    I havnt changed any policies to cover swine flu I just judge each case of illness individually and if i'm in doubt I ask the parents to check with the doctors.