Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sep 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default children under 1

As you might see from one of my other posts, I look after 2 children under 1 and have a variation for this as it's only 2 days a week, not over the christmas hols and the oldest is 1 in January. However, the 8 month old girl is having a few settling in issues and I wondered if anyone has any tips for this?
    She's incredibly clingy and has a very high pitched cry which upsets the other children in my care. Any ideas for reducing clinginess?

july 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: children under 1

Is she clinggy with you or her mum?? If with mum possibly get her mum to leave an item of hers with the little girl(e.g. a scarf ) So lo uses it as a comfort item.

Sorry i'm not much help!
    katieskatie xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: children under 1

I have had a child who screams... for hours and hours.

It is very hard to cope with and only you know your breaking point.

Mine came when I found out I was about to lose 2 established children because they didn't want to come here any more when screamer was here!!

The day after, he suddenly stopped and was fine from then on.

I didn't do anything differently, I think he just decided to join in instead.

Having something that smells of mum might help.

Hth

Sep 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sarah, I have asked mum to bring a cardi or something next week and she is also making some purees for me that she knows little lady normally takes relatively well. I am meeting her for lunch tomorrow and we are going to have a go at feeding her together. I do wonder if it's the feeding that's the ultimate issue. My main concern is the extent to which the screaming affects my LO inparticular but hopefully it'll improve soon. I think I bought one of your ebooks on behaviour management last week and you did mention the possiblity of a sling. I do have a few slings - do you think it'd be worth giving one a go for little lady or do you think that it'll just get her into the habit of me holding her and I will then have to work through the clinginess all over again?

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I looked after a little girl who was incredibly clingy and screamy for a few months and I sympathise cos it was incredibly hard work and difficult on other children. I found sticking to a structured routine helped - and at feeding time I made sure she had something she could hold and try and eat herself as well as the pureed food from mum. that way, if I had to give other children my attention she could have a go at feeding on her own and not feel quite so on her own. I also made sure we went out every morning - somehow these screams get more diluted at the park or toddler group. She did improve - just needed time to adjust. Good Luck
    Grindal