Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default who has a car for chilnding?

i have just been told that me having a car is a "core requirement" for this job. who agrees ? when the parents started with me 3 years ago we were a two car family so i had use of car every day. then about 18 months ago we went down to one car as we couldnt afford to run two. i am now being told that is is unfair to expect to 3.5 year olds to walk a 25 min walk from playschool at lunch time in the rain then out at again in the afternoon to do a school run. just wondered what opions were on this please?
    Sarah xxxxx

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: who has a car for chilnding?

personally i wouldn't be happy my 3 year old walking that far twice a day

just being honest

but then again i had a parent stop sending her almost 6 year old son cos she didn't want him walking home, (15/20 mins walk)

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    I have only recently got my car insured for minding. I suppose it depends how far you would be walking, but my 3 year old walks to and from playgroup every day. Personally i find it easier walking than getting them all strapped in the car and out and in the pushchair and back in the car ......
    Anyway, walikg is good for us and them. Get them some boots and waterproofs and let them splash in puddles!
    Grindal

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally have a car but still walk unless weather horrendous. I know loads of childminders that don't drive and walk/get bus everywhere. They never had a prob with it. As long as parents are happy and they are wearing appropriate clothing I don't see what the problem is. There are so many learning opportunities that can be gained from walking, even if same route every day which is why I choose to walk. I have even had mine complaining when we used car when we occasionally run late. They love the walks and games we play.
    Keep walking!!!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Who told you that?
    Debbie

July 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I personally think it depends on your circumstances, i.e. how far from school, playgroups, parents preferances, etc.

I personally couldnt do it without my 7 seater as I do take the LOs out everyday and on holidays we are always out and about.

While I know children do enjoy walking in the rain and splashing in puddles, I think there is a time and place for it and wouldnt like my children or mindees getting soaked on school runs. In horrid weather we drive to school. But saying that, I think we need to walk more so when the weather is suitable we are going to walk!!!

Lovies
    Tam
    x

Feb o7
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to mind 2 siblings 8 and 10.
    One day the youngest said 'oh,why do we have to walk to your house? I'm sooooo tired'
    School to my house: exactly 12 mins walk {I can be this exact as I have done it a thousand times!}
    I then said 'So what exercise have you done today then?' {it was a snow day, so no playtimes}
    He replied and was totally serious ' I walked from my house to my mum's car this morning'
    Nuff said.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieS26 View Post
    Who told you that?
    a parent for the last 3 years
    Sarah xxxxx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarahstanbridge View Post
    a parent for the last 3 years
    I would tell her that you have been through all your required paperwork and ask her where she got her information from.

I think she is trying you. Maybe the children are unhappy walking or she is concerned about the bad weather.
    Debbie

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I would tell her that you have been through all your required paperwork and ask her where she got her information from.

I think she is trying you. Maybe the children are unhappy walking or she is concerned about the bad weather.
    TBH fair Debbie, it is the parents wishes we have to consider

if she is unhappy then i would expect the children to not attend, it is after all her choice.

i had a child not come for the same reason (had too many kids to use the car) i was prepared for her to stop sending him x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

think it her about the weather! but she telling me my circumstances changed and she not happy on the one point. but that was over 18 months ago!!!
    Sarah xxxxx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Parents knew that you didn't have a car when they signed up so why make a fuss now

This all might be a communication issue so why not talk to her and find out what the problem is?
    Debbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

think she will be reducing her hours as thats her choice. she did say she was happy with every other aspect of the care i provide! just not walking in wind and rain..
    Sarah xxxxx

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarahstanbridge View Post
    think she will be reducing her hours as thats her choice. she did say she was happy with every other aspect of the care i provide! just not walking in wind and rain..
    tell me who DOES like walking in the wind and rain

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a car but can only get 3 children in it so mostly walk to and from school. It takes 15 -20 mins with children.

There are so many more pros for walking than driving so tend to walk whatever the weather. I have a few whinging children but I just ignore it!

Walking is better for the environment, less traffic on the road if we all walked, no stressful parking situations, exercise, wakes us up in the morning...

Also there is no such thing as bad weather just bad clothing!!

Sometimes I wish I lived slightly nearer to school and I do sympathise with the tired children, but I will continue to walk and leave the car at home. The children get used to it and families a decade ago and even now manage without a car.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I couldnt do without my car for work. Although I live in a small town most of the groups and facilities we use we have to travel to and in the hols we go further afield.

I always walk on the local school run but twice a week I go to a different school and its a 7 mile round trip- couldnt do it without the car

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If I was to use my car for the school run, it would involve reversing out my drive, driving down the road ... but before I get to my immediate next door neighbour, I would have to pull over and park.

I live in a terraced house, BTW

Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont drive, we walk and bus everywhere...

I need to pass my test and get insurance on df car, but even then I wont use it for minding...

my dd will be going to school in a couple of years and my long term plan is to work term time only and just do the free entitlement sessions

the smallest go in the double buggy, everyone else walks, weather they are 2 or 10.

youngest I have walking is about 2.5 but one mindee was playing up a treat, he was 3, so I stuck him in the pram and my dd who is 2 walked. we walk for about 15 minutes though but its all hills!!! up and down
    boo

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I couldnt be without my car for work. My daughter goes to a school that is too far away to walk daily - my choice as the schools around me are not brilliant.

However, we do walk to toddler group once a week and often walk down to the local shop at the bottom of the road. They are building a new swing park near me and this is in walking distance so will form one of our regular outings. And there is a huge country park literally a stone's throw from my house that we visit regularly. The children get plenty of fresh air and exercise in my large garden and from frequent visits to the park and other outdoor areas.

Personally I wouldnt be happy with my child walking that far in the rain if they were not with me. I passed my test when my children were 2 and 4 - before that we walked everywhere in every weather. But that was MY choice for MY children.

Maybe the confusion has occurred because you had 2 cars when she started with you and now you dont. Just explain to the mum that it was a financial decision and that you are confident that you can get everywhere you need to get by foot. As someone else said, it is up to her if she is happy with that or not.
    Helen

may 84
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't drive so have no choice, the school I go to now is only a 10/15 minute walk away but I used to go to one about 25 mins walk away. I have had some 3/4 year olds still using a pram but generally they manage the walk. I have umbrellas for any children that don't turn up with one and change of clothes for the younger ones.

Its strange how children may moan about a walk to school but take them in the park and they have energy for ages.
    Last edited by janminder; 23-11-2009 at 01:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast