Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Sick Kids!!!!

Registered Childminder since
    July 93
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sick Kids!!!!

Last week I had two kids in with diarrhea (prob not spelt that right!) The first was because of teething and the second was because of a cold. The second went on to be sick and I sent him home after being made to feel bad because it was just his cold! Anyway I was up all night with sickness and diarrhea. I find it hard to insist that the kids cant come in when the parents make excuses. Another childs mum said that she had taken her child to the docs and he said it was a food intolerance. How can I say they still cant come in nicely? (cos I will really be saying I dont believe you!) HEEEEELLLLLLPPPPP!

jun 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sick Kids!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kindertime View Post
    Last week I had two kids in with diarrhea (prob not spelt that right!) The first was because of teething and the second was because of a cold. The second went on to be sick and I sent him home after being made to feel bad because it was just his cold! Anyway I was up all night with sickness and diarrhea. I find it hard to insist that the kids cant come in when the parents make excuses. Another childs mum said that she had taken her child to the docs and he said it was a food intolerance. How can I say they still cant come in nicely? (cos I will really be saying I dont believe you!) HEEEEELLLLLLPPPPP!
    A quick fix is just say your not well and your not working today if all else fails

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If it is a food intolerance then you need the information given to mum by the doctor and nutritionist.

This should include a full list of excluded foods and diet ideas.

You can use this information to write an individual care plan for the child.

If mum doesn't have that, then you need something urgently in writing from either doc or nutritionist to know what to do with the child.

Until then, unfortunately you need to treat it as diarrhoea and implement the recommended Govt exclusion time of 48 hours from last bout.

hth

July 93
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah but the child has not seen a nutritionist. Mum saying it like doc is dismissing diarrhea as an intolerance that she will just grow out of.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kindertime View Post
    Thanks Sarah but the child has not seen a nutritionist. Mum saying it like doc is dismissing diarrhea as an intolerance that she will just grow out of.
    That's not a diagnosis then is it? Mum needs to go back and back and back and back until she gets one.

If it's not a confirmed diagnosis with no tests or food exclusions been done, then you have to assume it's a catching illness...

You cannot risk having to close because you or your family are ill.

July 93
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah,
    feeling a bit braver now I WILL PUT MY FOOT DOWN