Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Settling in - Child Crying

Hi folks

Ok so it's only child's 2nd full day (been for 3 x 2 hour settling in sessions) but I could just do with some reassurance and support!

Little boy is nearly 12 months old and is lovely, when we go out of the house he is good as gold 99% of the time. He loves going for walks in the pram, feeding ducks, going ANYWHERE basically. We went to Doctors this morning and he was perfect but when we are at home he CRIES and CRIES

He doesn't like being left and has even cried when left with Dad for a couple of hours. He cried when Mum goes and then gradually it seems to get less time between the crying.

Yesterday by the afternoon he was happily sat playing and didn't cry for about 3 hours

Today seems worse and I just need some reassurance that he is going to settle ok - and ideas of what to do really.

I do a mixture of sitting with him on the floor and carrying him. A couple of times he goes to the door screaming but yesterday when I brought him away he was fine. Today he has just sat and cried most of the morning.

Should I try to help him by arranging activities away from home or am I fueling the fire?

I have only had 1 child like this before and she was fine once the settling in was over and she started coming full time so I'm relatively inexperienced with this

I just want to help all I can - he doesn't have a favorite toy, teddy, blanket or dummy!

apr1995
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Settling in - Child Crying

I am sure he will settle I too have a little one of 8 months and she keeps
    crying but I am hoping it gets better !
    x Mabes x

april08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

its the age i have one that was like that fine when we were out but screamed and screamed at home they do grow out of it just keep going i spent the first 3 months with him at toddle groups parks anywhere i could go.
    good luck
    children make the world more fun

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hang in there, it will get better.

I had one recently the same age and he cried solidly for the 11hrs he was with me. It was a nightmare and so stressful but I persevered and it took a few months but now he is lovely

0ct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure it will improve, is he on his own or are there other children to play with. Perhaps put some music on for everyone to dance to when he cries, it will distract him hopefully, failing that at least it will muffle the crying!

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys - I really appreciate your support. After a super long sleep this afternoon he has been great he seems worse when he's tired and also when Mum's come and go.

I'll keep it up and hope the weather stays fine so we can go for walks until the toddler groups start up again in September.

He does like playing in the garden which is great and Mum is changing her hours in September so he will finish at 4pm which is even better