Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Childminding and a Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Hi,

I've had my pre-reg and am waiting for my CRB to come through. Whilst waiting I've been fostering dogs for an animal rescue. I've got my 4th dog in as many weeks and have fallen head over heels for her ... but she is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and I am scared that this will put off potential parents. I also have my own dog who is a lurcher so would have 2 dogs at home.

I just wondered if I could get some sort of feedback from you guys as to whether you think parents would be put off by a childminder who had this particular breed.

Thanks,

El x

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Childminding and a Staffordshire Bull Terrier

i'm sorry but i'm afraid it would put me right off even if it was stressed that the dog and children didn't mix as slip ups can happen and gates can be left open. sorry but just being honest i know people say that staffies can make lovely pets they also have a reputation.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Well maybe i am ignorant.. But if I see a dog that looks like a Pit bull it is probably a staffy, thats because I dont know the difference. I have been told that you are not allowed to own a pitt bull in this country.. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
    So if I am walking along the street and a dog comes towards me that looks like a pitt bull/ staffy I steer my Mindees well clear, because I am ignorant and cannot tell the difference.
    I hope this post does not offend anyone, I just do not know the difference between the two, and i would rather be safe than sorry
    Needs to Zumba

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Eugh - just found this http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...ighlight=fence

5ft fence between mindees and dogs?????????????

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ellies2009 View Post
    Eugh - just found this http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...ighlight=fence

5ft fence between mindees and dogs?????????????
    OK so, so long as your mindees and the dog are not together then this should be ok, but dont take my advise, seek proffesional advise on this, I would hate to see tears anywhere on this. Hope you get this sorted Proffessionally. For your sake, Mindees and the dog's sake, because at the end of the day its not the dogs fault he is of this breed! Like I have said I am totally ignorant and I am putting myself in the place of a parent, BUT you may get a parent who is Knowlegeable of this breed Hope i havnt offended you!
    Needs to Zumba

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

No - not offended at all and thank you very much for your replies.

I have grown up training and showing dogs in both obedience and ringcraft and am confident in my training abilities (could include training certificates in risk assessment?) and will have a comprehensive pet policy anyway because of my resident lurcher. My lurcher sleeps all day so will spend most of the day in a room blocked off with a stair gate upstairs and if he wants to come down he will be in kitchen/garden - i.e. wherever I'm not with mindees

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

No - not offended at all and thank you very much for your replies.

I have grown up training and showing dogs in both obedience and ringcraft and am confident in my training abilities (could include training certificates in risk assessment?) and will have a comprehensive pet policy anyway because of my resident lurcher. My lurcher sleeps all day so will spend most of the day in a room blocked off with a stair gate upstairs and if he wants to come down he will be in kitchen/garden - i.e. wherever I'm not with mindees
    If this can be proven to an inspector "on the day" Then this should be fine, If you have R /A's in place and pet policies in place too hopefully this will be ok to.
    I wish i could help you more, but I am not Knowledgable enough, hopefully someone who is will give you more advise.... Good Luck
    Needs to Zumba

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a big dog lover but.... I wouldn't pick a minder with a staff. sorry if it sounds ignorant and i do have a dog myself ( a lhasa apso)

But there has been too much in the press about these kinds of dogs and I wouldn't trust one near my kids, even I am scared of them

My s.i.l has 5 of them, and I'm scared of them all and won't let my kids go round there becasue of them.
    One or two of them have taken chunks out of my sil in the past because they play rough with them and I know that not all staffs are like this, but I can't help feeling intimidated by them

On facebook I have been asked to join a group named "sign up to keep Staffs off the dangerous dogs act list" I have never signed up to this, because even though all dogs canbe dangerous in my mind they seem one of the most dangerous

Sorry xxxx

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally understand where you're coming from, as both my parents feel the same way, but I just find it so sad for this breed as they were affectionally known as "Nanny Dogs" (and if you google that it comes up with info about Staffs) because they were so good with children.

So I think the conclusion is that it would affect my business if I kept her

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I went to see a CM the other day and she had a Staffy and we where talking about where the dogs sleep (Im having my garage converted to a room for my springer as even though shes in another room at the moment she isn't getting any sleep they children are always calling her, throwing things in for her to play with and she looks so tired,LOL). She lets hers in the room with the mindees and her parents aren't put off by this she is almost full so it is possible.

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i'm sorry but i think it will. i feel sorry for you as its a horrible decision to have to make.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always had a thing about Staffies since one attacked my labrador pup years ago but a friend has one now and she is the sweetest, gentlest and very intelligent animal but I still think you might run the risk of putting some parents off if you adopt this dog.

Miffy xx

dec 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had a bad experience with staffs, as i posted on this forum once, 2 got into my garden killed my cat and attacked me, luckily mindees were strapped into their high chairs in the kitchen.

I know not all staffs are like this but people are definatly wary of them because of thier reputation. So i think this would put parents off. I personally wouldnt put my children with a minder with dogs.

Like any animal if provocated enough they can lash out and i couldnt take that risk.

You say the staff is a rescue dog, do you know about its history, if it was abused or not etc? As im sure you know more than me but can that effect their temperment and make then do things that would usually be out of character?
    PRINCESS DAISY FLOWER

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When we were choosing our dog we went for a breed that wouldnt put potential parents off. My dh wanted a rottweiller but I refused because of their reputation. We ended up with a labrador cross.

I know plenty of people who have staffie bull terriers and they all say they are the best dogs to have around children.

They are no bad dogs just bad owners in my opinion and any dog can turn on a child.

Would I be put of from using a cm with a staffie I would like to say no it wouldn't but something tells me I would be as I would for the same reasons I wouldnt let dh get a rotty.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

amirose Guest

I am scared of Staffordshire Bull Terrier's.
    There are just too many of them owned by young hoodlams who think its cool to have a big mean dog which has taken a dog that can be very loyal and loving and given it a very nasty reputation. Of course we also have to bare in mind what they were bred for.
    I have known a couple of friends with staff's and the dogs have been, as I say, loving and sweet but it only takes one snap and its going to be serious - because of the size of their heads and teeth, they also have lock jaw.
    I worry about my own dogs being around mindees and I have two whippets! But even then I think the mindee has only got to pull them the wrong way and the dog could give them a warning = not good. Hence the dogs are usually separated and on rare occasions they are allowed in they are 100% supervised. The kids also know to never ever run when we walk the dogs as one of mine is walked off lead.
    I also would be put off more by the fact its not just a Staffordshire Bull Terrier but a rescue Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
    The fact is though some parents are just put off by the fact you have a dog in the first place - regardless of breed!!!

nov 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 10 year old staffie, I have been minding for 2 years and it has never put anyone off, he is the most docile and loving dog i have ever had, i also have 3 kiddies of my own, i trust him 100%. all my parents have fallen for him! Although no child is ever left unsupervised with him.

However, i think is the owners who hjave given this breed a bad rep, its a shame......we wouldnt have another staffie as they have such a bad image.

Would it put parents off? I think if i was to choose a cm for my own kids, I wouldnt choose a cm with any dog that I got a bad vibe from, and i would assess the owner and the dog and the relationship they have.
    Julie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

From a parent point of view I dont know if I would want my child anywhere that there is a dog (which will probably not make me popular sorry....). I have had dogs in the past and I had to let my border collie go when I started childminding as I couldnt trust her - lovely dog but if the kids squealed with excitement she wanted to join in and DD had countless holes in her clothes. The dog would never deliberately have harmed anyone, but I couldnt take the risk and as much as I could have kept her shut away I didnt think it was fair as I didnt get her to shut her away and childminding can be long hours.

As for staffies - my DH had several over the years and loves them. His opinion is yes he would trust them totally - but he doesnt think parents will. Personally I can see exactly where he is coming from - if a parent doesnt have the knowledge then the will make an automatic judgement and it could easily cost you the job.

Then again, I know of a ex-childminder friend who has a dog I wouldnt trust (has nipped me a few times as well as her and all her family) yet the parents had no idea and thought it was fine right up until she stopped minding - luckily I dont think it ever bit any of the minded kids.

I also know of several parents who wanted a childminder without a dog - including one who actually had a dog themselves.....

Sorry no easy answer but good luck with whatever decision you make

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It would put me right off too I'm afraid. I know they are supposed to be child friendly dogs but I've heard of ones that have attacked children so wouldn't be happy for my child to be around one.

Plus, on another point, I'm allergic to a few breeds and this is one of them so I wouldn't be able to go into the house but obviously that's just me!

Isn't it sad because I'm sure most of them are just lovely and adorable.

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry there is no way on earth i would leave my kids with someone who owned a staffy or equivelent my mum has one and so does my sister and i wont let my kids stay there unless the dog stays outside and those 2 dogs have been around my kids since they were puppy's
    the strength of the jaws of these dogs is unbelievable sorry just being honest
    i do own a dog but he's a shih-tzu and he is never left alone with mindees even though he's extremely soft and allows my nephew to lay on him to sleep

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been fostering dogs for an animal rescue. I've got my 4th dog in as many weeks and have fallen head over heels for her ... but she is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and I am scared that this will put off potential parents. I also have my own dog who is a lurcher so would have 2 dogs at home.

El x
    Hi,
    Now before i write this i want to say I AM AN ANIMAL LOVER

Staffs do make wonderful pets, and are actually noted to be one of THE best family pets

HOWEVER

this is a stray Staff, you have no real idea of it's temprement or how it has been brought up or treated in the past, and this makes me VERY wary

i know ALL dogs can turn on you BUT staffs are very powerful (cos thats the way they are ment to be) and when one does attack the damage can be fatal.

IF you had this dog from a puppy (aka 8 weeks old) and it was trained properly then maybe i'd be ok with it being around mindees BUT as it's a stray then NO sorry i wouldn't trust it cos you never know what willpush it over the edge

sorry
    IS BACK

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast