Childminding versus Fostering ?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Childminding versus Fostering ?

I was thinking about looking into becoming a childminder, when someone mentioned I should look into fostering aswell because they are similar things. I don't really see how they are all that similar...okay both are looking after a child/ren that aren't your own, but fostering has a lot more to it and a lot more responsibility doesn't it?

What are your thoughts on this? And can I ask why you decided to become a childminder instead of a foster parent?

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Childminding versus Fostering ?

I am both, I have endless hassle from social services regarding my fostering while childminding. They moved my last kids on because they said I couldn't give them the care they needed because I was childminding. I've told them I won't give up childminding. Its far less stressful and the kids go home at the end of the day. Social Services have unreal expectations of carers and do not realise how hard we work. You have to feed, clothe and pay for everything out of your "allowance". It doesn't pay as well as childminding and the poor little kids often have a lot of issues which they take out on you (i've had the bruises to prove it). Social Services are happy for me to foster, but only carefully selected kids. Suits me, the rewards of seeing these children grow and come alive is amazing, but it won't make you rich. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CheekyMonkey View Post
    It doesn't pay as well as childminding
    Really? The fostering allowance I've just read in the newspaper seems much higher than the close to nothing you get from childminding....unless you look after lots of kids.

Lady Haha Guest

I agree with the above post. I registered as a foster carer about four years ago and became a childminder just over two years ago.

When fostering, I decided to register with an agency as they pay better allowances. It took nearly a year to get registered and it was a lot of work, far more than registering as a childminder and thats bad enough! The problem with the agencies, is that the reason they pay beter is because they are usually fostering out older children with much more severe social problems. I fostered a 16 year old girl and her two year old daughter and it wasn't what I had in mind when I started! I wanted to care for children, but I was almost this girls 'supervisor'. I had to help her learn how to care for her child and it was really hard work. Also, at her age, she stayed up late, so I never got any time to myself.

The local authority usually foster out the younger children but the allowances are awful! About 120 a week or thereabouts and for that you have to clothe, feed them etc.

After the second foster child I had (a 17year old boy fresh out of borstal!), I decided to quit and look into childminding.

I have never looked back! It is better paid, and they go home at the end of the day! The only responsibility you have is that they are fed and are having fun and learning while they are with you! AND, best of all, you are your own boss! You do what you like, when you like pretty much! Fostering means bowing down to social workers who really haven't got a clue half the time!

july 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Childminding versus Fostering ?

Fostering was something i was also looking into. Did quite a bit of research.
    Decided to see how i get on with childminding at the moment as i'm newly registered and still not sure if fostering would be right for me.
    I'd advise you do the same see how you like childminding first!
    katieskatie xx

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We've just registered as foster parents and Im a bit concerned now. I must admit, I felt all excited to begin with then when we rang up to chack something, Socail services made us feel awkward for asking. I thought they would be crying out for more people to join the profession, not put them off! Anyway, we're waiting for someone to be assigned to us and then the completing of form "F" begins.
    Wellybellyxxxxxxxxx

feb 91
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have loved to foster but I think it has to be a whole family decision, as you are resposible for these children 24/7.
    My husband and one of my children were not so keen, so childminding won.
    18 years on I have no regrets really, as I feel I have helped many more children, but in a less 'drastic' way.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You dont need a spare bedroom to childmind.
    Deb X

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kikimimi View Post
    Really? The fostering allowance I've just read in the newspaper seems much higher than the close to nothing you get from childminding....unless you look after lots of kids.

If you are looking at the allowance of fostering then this is not for you, and you are probably looking at private fostering if its higher. looking after a child on behalf of socail services is about £120 a week that 24/7 and out of that you have to provide everything that child needs.
    Anyone who is looking into fostering should be looking at the needs of the child/children and the baggage that comes with them. I have been doing this for the last 12 years and l have watch children change before my every eyes and the reward is far greater then the allowances and the downside is working with social workers who don't always know what they are doing or the child.
    Both fostering and childminding can work well together as long as you have the right age group and l feel they can learn from each other.
    Sorry if l gone on but l never started fostering for any monary gains these children have gone through so much they need a stable home life and shown love in order to become the adults of the furture and stop the circle of crulty in our society

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought about fostering before I became a childminder, then found out that you need ot have a spare room for that child and I wasn't able - I have 2 kids of my own, a boy and a girl and a 3 bedroomed house. So bedroom each and no room to foster a child.

I was also worried about becoming too attached to the child and then child leaving.

I know that you have to be prepared in case the foster child's mother/father needs to stay the night with them. Although I like to help kids, I couldn't go through with this. Having a complete stranger accommadated at short notice and to stay with us. No!

I am a childminder and in all honestly most days I can't wait for my working day to end so I can get back to normal and spend the evening with my family, just us.
    I can't imagine, now, sharing my spare time with another child whom I have totally responsibility and not my own.

One child around here fostered will earn you around £1200 a month. I earn over than with 6 part time children and still can close the doors at the end of the day and have 1 day off a week and my weekend to myself, which you wouldn't be able to do fostering.

It all depends on what you want to do. If you really want to help these children and families, it is all good but if you want to earn a living and not have the hassle (sounds hard I know) of other peoples kids 24/7 then it really is not for you

Fostering and childminding, to me are 2 totally different professions.

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    You dont need a spare bedroom to childmind.
    In our area you do need a room spare for the fostered child, it is one of the first requirements they insist on around these parts anyway

Lady Haha Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mollymop View Post
    In our area you do need a room spare for the fostered child, it is one of the first requirements they insist on around these parts anyway
    Mollymop, I think you got confused by Deb's post, she was saying you don't need a spare bedroom to Childmind, not foster!!! So she is saying the same thing as you!

Lady Haha Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sue View Post
    If you are looking at the allowance of fostering then this is not for you, and you are probably looking at private fostering if its higher. looking after a child on behalf of socail services is about £120 a week that 24/7 and out of that you have to provide everything that child needs.
    Anyone who is looking into fostering should be looking at the needs of the child/children and the baggage that comes with them. I have been doing this for the last 12 years and l have watch children change before my every eyes and the reward is far greater then the allowances and the downside is working with social workers who don't always know what they are doing or the child.
    Both fostering and childminding can work well together as long as you have the right age group and l feel they can learn from each other.
    Sorry if l gone on but l never started fostering for any monary gains these children have gone through so much they need a stable home life and shown love in order to become the adults of the furture and stop the circle of crulty in our society
    Thought I better step in before some one gets offended! People looking into fostering shouldn't be doing it for the money, you are right, but they do need to weigh up whether the allowance will allow for them to not only look after the foster child (clothes, food, school trips and all the rest), but enable them to give up their job to be at home for the foster children. Also, there are weeks at a time where you may not have any foster children at all and they don't pay you the allowance unless you've got kids with you!

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Having Fostered 20 children (and Childminded whilst I did so,) I can confirm any allowances were spent on the Children and the worse part of Fostering was Social Services and Social Workers and the silly silly rules. I became a Childminder to earn a wage. The upside of Childminding is the children go home at night, but the upside of Fostering is seeing a child blossom in your care and that is worth more than all the money in the world. I have regular contact with 7 of my ex Foster children and when they get in touch to invite us to parties, weddings etc I get the warmest feeling ever.
    I suppose what Im trying to say is they can't really be compared, but I love both jobs and seeing children flourish in my care

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackandsparkly View Post
    Mollymop, I think you got confused by Deb's post, she was saying you don't need a spare bedroom to Childmind, not foster!!! So she is saying the same thing as you!
    Oh yeah, and so she did. Sorry!

Dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with June, the rewards for fostering are a kind of job satisfaction, knowing you are making a difference in some ones life. It's not something you do for financial gain. Childminding is a career choice, and we're lucky to be able to do a job we love. If you can combine both the rewards are far greater.

April 2
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

God i cant think of anything worse than fostering !!! (although i have the greatest respect for those that do it ). At least with childminding the kids go home at the end of the day ............!!! its the best bit lol
    Love Rach x

pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

hi does any know any fostering agencies that allow you to childmind and foster the same time i have rang a couple but with no luck x

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a social worker visit last night with regards to fostering babies. The allowance here is £110 a week, (I charge £30 a day for childminding) and out of that I will have to provide food, nappies, clothing, etc so it certainly won't be for the money. I live in a city and my own local authority won't let me childmind and foster at the same time so I have contacted the county local authority who will . If approved (big if - they look at everything!) I will give up one of my under 5's minding spaces to a foster child and hope that the rewards to myself, my family and the babies will outweigh the loss in income.

Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the big thing to consider is the impact on your family life, especially if you have young children of your own. I don't mean to say that fostering is a negative thing, I think for many it is a positive experience for the whole family, but it is a much bigger intrusion into family life. If you are in a relationship your partner would have to be involved and committed to fostering too, and your own children would not be able to get their parent back to themselves in the evening/weekend, and would have to go through separation when a child they'd learned to love had to leave the family, so it would definitely impact them more.

The way I see it, childminding is a job, whereas fostering is a lifestyle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast