Daughter given tamiflu
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sep 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Daughter given tamiflu

DD has had symptoms all weekend and emergency doctor prescribed tamiflu for her this afternoon.
    Have text all parents telling them the situation and that I plan on working this week unless things get worse or I get ill.
    I've had three parents so far say they won't be coming and have arranged alternative care... but as I'm still working, I want to still charge but what do I do? I'm really wishing I'd planned for this sooner

One parent has asked to swap this week for another week in the hols... do i give them the other week but still charge for this week, or be nice and just simply swap?

All help greatly received! x

aug 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Daughter given tamiflu

Id probably still charge as you have saiid unless you get it or daughter gets worse you will be open as usual.
    Marie.

Dec '06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    V Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would probably still charge as well since you are still open for work
    Fiona xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Do your contracts say that you charge when mindees have occassional days off? If they do, then still charge as you are open as usual.

If you find the government guidance it does say that they recommend childminders stay open if their own family have it, but they are well. Find that & quote it for the parents. It shows that you are following their advice by staying open & that therefore, parents still need to pay.

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't charge and I wouldn't open UNLESS you are prepared to look after the mindees if they get swine flu (or another illness for that matter)> I know some minders who work along these rules and it works for them and their parents but I wouldn't want to have a whole bunch of sick kids on my hands.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was reading up on this last night. Childminders unlike other settings should not care for other children if they or members of the household are sick. Go to DCFS website there is a link there.

Sorry to be bearer of bad news!

LOL

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Do your contracts say that you charge when mindees have occassional days off? If they do, then still charge as you are open as usual.

If you find the government guidance it does say that they recommend childminders stay open if their own family have it, but they are well. Find that & quote it for the parents. It shows that you are following their advice by staying open & that therefore, parents still need to pay.
    Mouse, just read your post after I posted a reply. This has changed again and this is not the case any longer. It states, members of the household now.

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD :)
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't charge as I wouldn't open TBH.

I wouldn't open as I wouldn't want the resonsibilty of passing it on to anybody else & I am guessing your dd is feeling pretty rubbish & will want you to herself.

Hope she feels better soon.
    Katickles

04 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Would you accept their child if they had it? I personally would not open if any one in the house had it - children under 5 are in the higher risk group of developing complications.
    [I]Sharon
    *****proofed the house but they're still getting in!!

Nov 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    I was reading up on this last night. Childminders unlike other settings should not care for other children if they or members of the household are sick. Go to DCFS website there is a link there.

Sorry to be bearer of bad news!

LOL
    Do you have a link for this as I can't find it x

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

have posted link on a new thread in this section as was having trouble pasting it in.
    Last edited by The Juggler; 21-07-2009 at 01:30 PM.

June 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Seriously?

I think you should not charge them and that you should close as you have a highly contagious, potentially fatal disease in your home.

The guidelines I have read say we should not open if we have flu in the house.

Childminders only

• You should only look after children if you and your own children are well.

• You should not look after children who have flu type symptoms.

• You must follow the infection control guidance.

• Ensure parents are advised if any child in your care shows flu symptoms but carry on as normal as long as the remaining children and you are well.

• If you or anyone in your household has flu symptoms do not look after other people’s children; inform parents of children you care for and ask them to make other arrangements.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope your daughter is feeling ok

Angel xx

Sep 05
    Post Thanks / Like

As it happens, she never had swine flu - doctos said they were being over-cautious and by Monday morning, she was totally back to normal.
    I carried on giving her the tamiflu but she was fine... no one else in the household had anything so think it was purely a normal bug.

I did remain open and have charged for those who were there. Slight problems with various families who ended up being damn right rude to me

Reviewing my sickness policy, sending out copies to everyone who is on my book and asking them to sign a copy and return one to me and retain one for their reference.. I can't go through this hassle when one of us is ill... goes to show no one reads the contracts when they sign them!

Thanks for your help though everyone x

Post Thanks / Like

Pleased to hear your daughter is well again

Sorry you've had a few problems with parents - hope it all gets sorted soon

Miffy xx

LOOPYLISA Guest

Glad shes feeling better

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was so paranoid yesterday as my son had a temp and he is never ill, he also said he had a headache but this went with calpol, the temp stayed up and down all day and i said to dh if i ring the help line thats me closed but he was actually fine in himself it was me who noticed he was a bit flushed, gladly i did not phone and today he fine and healthy

I have done a seperate policy even though locally we were told to follow are usual policy but i feel its different than usual illnesses

I think we really need to be careful about having to close without any real need but this is hard without actually seeing doctors or our income and families will be badly interupted