How are you keeping them occupied in this weather?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How are you keeping them occupied in this weather?

This week has been really stressful so far as all the kids are way too uncomfortable to want to do anything. Everything is so much harder work in this heat and even eating has become a chore for them.

Its too hot for them to be outside so I have pretty much put a ban on that (it was 37.5 in my garden today ), which is making them even more grumpy and they dont seem to be able to get into anything indoors.

My lot are 1yr ( 2 of them!) 2 and 3 as well as the usual after schoolies. We went to the library today, but even that was an effort for everyone

What are you doing with yours at the minute?

july 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: How are you keeping them occupied in this weather?

How about making your own ice lollies and ice cream?? Making fans???
    Takes their mind off the heat and they can use what they've made to keep themselves cool!
    katieskatie xx

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How are you keeping them occupied in this weather?

I gave up this afternoon and put the tv on! Everyone was shattered and it was way too hot to go in the garden so we watched a bit of CBeebies instead.

Miffy xx

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

It was quite cool down here early this morning and we were in the park at half eight! We stopped at the shops on the way back and had a nice cool down before lunch, then my efferts really paid off as DS1 and 2 and mindee all slept for hour and a half!! (DS 1 was watching DVD actually), then mindees Dad phoned wanting to collect her early so i had to wake her and get her ready, then me and DS 1 and 2 watered the garden, filled the paddling pool and chilled out

Probably does not help you much though - sorry!!
    Grindal

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

not alot grindal

sounds lovely though

May do lollies and fans tomorrow

TheBTeam Guest

We managed in the garden before lunch, with suncream, hats, and a large umbrella plus the natural shade from the high fence and large play trays full of water, the water play kept them cool and occupied for over two hours.

We then came in for lunch and they crashed out asleep before the school run this afternoon, lovely day!

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

we did cornflour play in the kitchen and then tried to make a 5 minute chocolate cake in a mug using the microwave .........

the recipe was simple woohoo and it cooked fine BUT tasted of rubber bands ........ ah well it was a good counting and measuring activity so then we sat and ate kitkats (yes i know unhealthy but pood mindees couldnt eat the cake lol)
    Busy losing the will to live mwuahahahaha!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We still managed our walk this morning - well I only had one and he was in the pushchair all the time. Lots of suncream/sunhats etc.

Luckily ( or otherwise most of the time ) I have a very shaded garden so we were able to be out there in the paddling pool this afternoon.

Oct 02
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow am I pleased to live at the coast - we do get quite a few sea frets here while the rest of the country is bathed in sunshine but thankfully its not often we get the heat that makes you feel uncomfortable.
    You could try freezing different size ice shapes and putting different objects inside for the children to guess what's inside. Let them melt on a tray and let the children feel them - might help to keep them cool for a while.

amirose Guest

Today the 14 month old I mind got very hot sticky and grumpy so I filled the bath with cool water, put the paddling pool toys in the bath and plonked him in!
    He had a great time, cooled him down a treat, and no danger of heat/sun because we were indoors!
    If you had more than one you could stick them in spare underwear and they could play together or just let them stand next to it and play with they toys without getting in
    Baby was much happier after his bath

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

We're lucky enough to have some shady areas in the garden too. I've been putting out the water table and toys, or the paddling pool, or just the lawn sprinkler on the hose which they seem to like better than anything - lots of shrieking though

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've put the gazebo up in the garden (just a cheap one) and have the sandpit etc under there and have been doing water play/babies in baths outside and they all love watering the veggie patch/flowers anyway. Only out for short periods. It's lovely and cool indoors so they've been playing as normal but all exhausted so sleeping well.

I'm with you on the grumpy though - I have 5, 2 year olds on different days and they have all been having tantrums this week and last.

Have you seen the weather forecast from tomorrow though - rain, thunder and more rain....................

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

We played with ice cubes, well actually they were rolling them around their faces and arms.

We also went to Tesco to get some fruit for them to make a fruit salad and we spent ages in the fridge isles until they were too cold, lol.

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a gazebo up all the time anyway. But if the children have hats and suncream they can still play outside. Mine have not been any different. All the toddler groups have still been running. We have just sat in the shade.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Sept 06
    Post Thanks / Like

We have been playing with water and ice cubes - anything to keep them cool really.

Not been out much too hot in the car but we have used the garden a lot

Dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of Water play most days my back garden is quite shaded and gazebo up

We play out in morning do nursery run then stay indoors for awhile after lunch then in and out as they please only in the back garden my front garden is a sun trap

no extra trips to park too hot that time of the day and kids are too hot to walk too far
    Angela x
    Owner of a static holiday caravan in Paignton

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We went to the park yesterday and then home for bed with the fans going full pelt (I had a snooze too whilst watching Wimbledon)

today we are all ready for a picnic and I am taking my 4 to the local paddling pool. Great to play in and everyone is cool.

I put up my large pool last night so it will heat up during the day for the next 2 days so they will all be outside this afternoon

Have you got a paddling pool for your little ones? Once they are cool they are happy and not too grumpy (Asda have them for £2.50 at the moment). Put an umbrella over the top and the sun isn't on them either

Hope today is better for you
    Debbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

we went to the local paddling pool which is part of a play area.. I took my mindee 2.5 year and my own 22mth old .. they loved the water but it was already getting busy by 10am .. so was happy to just have the two children as 4 would have been too much.. by the afternoon everyone was tired... have now bought a small paddling pool for my garden .. as my is on a slope I think a small paddling pool should be enough.. ( I hope)

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We're lucky that our garden is quite well shaded, so we're spending most of the morning outside. We have regular stops for drinks when i just get the children to sit down for a couple of minutes & have some water.

After lunch the older one goes to nursery & the younger two sleep, so they've been in a cool room with the fans on.

If it's very hot in the afternoon when I've got older ones here (still only up to the age of 5), we'll have a 'cinema' afternoon. We make popcorn, shut the curtains & put a DVD on. The children can either chill out & watch the film, or carry on playing quietly, but at least they have a bit of time when they're cool & calm.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huggableshelly View Post
    we did cornflour play in the kitchen and then tried to make a 5 minute chocolate cake in a mug using the microwave .........

the recipe was simple woohoo and it cooked fine BUT tasted of rubber bands ........ ah well it was a good counting and measuring activity so then we sat and ate kitkats (yes i know unhealthy but pood mindees couldnt eat the cake lol)

What a laugh! I did an extended paper on Microwave cookers and cooking when I did my HND all those years ago. It should work if you cook it for a little less time and take it out of the cooker and let it stand. Having said that however you cook a cake in a microwave they do tend to have a pudding texture IYSWIM.

Try again, serve with icecream and enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast