how many weeks holiday a year do you take?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default how many weeks holiday a year do you take?

Hi, I know this question must have been asked before, but how many weeks holiday do you take for yourself a year.?I charge half rate for my hols, though I do stress to parents that I try to keep my fees quite low the rest of the time. I had a week off the May half term and I am taking 2 weeks in August. I've been thinking about possibly having the full 2 weeks off at Christmas/New year, but feel guilty as this will be difficult for a couple of parents. Do you think 5 weeks is too much? Thanks for your advice.xx.

TheBTeam Guest

Default Re: how many weeks holiday a year do you take?

I take two weeks off in the summer and go away on holiday, and then i do not work between christmas and the new year, but that is it! And I am made to feel guilty for that!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

4 weeks for me

1 at easter
    2 in the school summer hols
    1 at christmas

never had any parents complain yet luckily

Feb04
    Post Thanks / Like

HI, I have written into my contract that I take 1 week- october half term
    2 weeks -Christmas
    1 week- August
    I also take bank holidays off, but will work them at extra charges. I charge half fee for my holidays as I feel that if I was employed I would be entitled to paid holiday, and after all don't we deserve it?!!

Zoe

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a week in summer and then what ever days i not needed by anyone throughout the year.
    Needs to Zumba

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

In 2008 I had 2 weeks, in 2009 it'll be 5 weeks. That's just the way it's happened.
    Jen

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

NCMA recommend that all childminders have a least 4 weeks a year. If you are employed the minimum employers are allowed to give their empolyees is 25 days but that can include the Bank Holidays.

Now I know we are not employed. However we all do an extremly physically and mentally demanding job. I don't know about others but I am shattered at the end of the week. I am going on my summer holiday in approx 3 weeks and I can't wait!

I take five weeks a year now. 2 weeks in the summer holidays (dh is a teacher and we have 2 still at school), a week for one of the half terms or at Easter, fill inbetween Christmas and New year and then long weekends in the half terms that are left. This way I have short breaks through the year to look forward to. I originally did it this way when my two were little so I could spend some time with them each holiday.

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I take 2 weeks at xmas,
    2 weeks summer
    1 week at easter.

= 5 weeks, but works out about 4 due to all the bank hols at xmas and easter. xx

TheBTeam Guest

I am going to try next year and have four weeks, one at the october half term as the weather is often nice then, two in the summer and one at christmas, i am now thinking if parents don't like it is tough!

I will not ask to be paid for the time (will raise my rates where poss instead) the tight parents can have their bank holidays for free, and that way i will not feel beholden to any of them and if i cant do it and am not being paid it is then there choice whether to pay for other childcare or stay and for once look after their own child!

I am fed up of being made to feel guilty for so much as wanting a day off, everyone of my parents at the moment are only happy with the one way traffic, and as soon as i ask for something they don't like it, well the bee will start to sting!

I am sure that parents see a weakness and push it, i am therefore vowing to toughen up!!

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have in my contract up to 6 weeks (used to be 4)...I don't get paid for my hols...& have NEVER taken more than 3...I have six to allow for holiday time & the odd day off here & there for hospital/dental/training on top of time off IYSWIM!
    Blaze x