New 13 month old mindee's first day
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    amirose Guest

Default New 13 month old mindee's first day

Well we didn't have the best start

Despite 2 fantastic settling in session J screamed at me for just over half an hour after mum dropped him off. I believe this was a tantrum more than anything - caused by mum leaving a bit too quickly (bless her she works nights so was desperate to get back and go to bed!!!).

Tried music, toys, tv, books it all failed and we have the proper screams going on in the end I put him in the buggy and took him for a walk (in circles round the block as I am waiting on a delivery ) he was as good as gold.

Got back here and he started screaming again pretty much as soon as I got indoors. I was trying to decide wether to go back out again or not but decided to pick him up and sit and watch Thomas the Tank Engine with him. He stopped screaming and we watched it together (I also put the fan on as he was getting hot from screaming and this distracted him brilliantly ). Within about 10 minutes he fell asleep on me. I then rang my childminder friend who said put him in the cot if he wakes up stroke his face until he settles. I was more than a little bit worried that he would wake up and start screaming again but she said he will sleep longer/better in a cot so I risked it! He woke up a little (and with a face that looked as though he was about to kick off again!) as I put him in so I stroked his face and he went straight back to sleep

Its been half and hour now - my routine is out the window already but hey-ho I have stuck a big sign for the parcel force on the front door saying "Sleeping baby please knock quietly" (They are supposed to be delivering my new cosatto duet lite today )

My cold is still bad but thanks to all the stuff I have dosed myself up with I am managing my ears are blocked but maybe that's a good thing

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New 13 month old mindee's first day

I will type quietly then, hope hes in a better mood when he wakes up.

Post Thanks / Like

Is he still asleep an has your other baby arrived (pushchair )

My 11mth mindee is the same, not quite all the screaming but is quiet as a button if outside so we spent lots of time walking about during the easter hols as that was when i first had him. Now he happily comes to me in the morning and even said bye to dad this week for the first time

Hope the rest of the day goes well for you

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Your poor blocked ears... I do sympathise.

xx

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Poor you but well done on getting him to sleep. Keep going like that and he will soon settle. Don't worry about your routine being upset - mine still gets upset after 10 years! Start out with a plan but expect it to change is the best advice.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amirose View Post
    Well we didn't have the best start

Despite 2 fantastic settling in session J screamed at me for just over half an hour after mum dropped him off. I believe this was a tantrum more than anything - caused by mum leaving a bit too quickly (bless her she works nights so was desperate to get back and go to bed!!!).

Tried music, toys, tv, books it all failed and we have the proper screams going on in the end I put him in the buggy and took him for a walk (in circles round the block as I am waiting on a delivery ) he was as good as gold.

Got back here and he started screaming again pretty much as soon as I got indoors. I was trying to decide wether to go back out again or not but decided to pick him up and sit and watch Thomas the Tank Engine with him. He stopped screaming and we watched it together (I also put the fan on as he was getting hot from screaming and this distracted him brilliantly ). Within about 10 minutes he fell asleep on me. I then rang my childminder friend who said put him in the cot if he wakes up stroke his face until he settles. I was more than a little bit worried that he would wake up and start screaming again but she said he will sleep longer/better in a cot so I risked it! He woke up a little (and with a face that looked as though he was about to kick off again!) as I put him in so I stroked his face and he went straight back to sleep

Its been half and hour now - my routine is out the window already but hey-ho I have stuck a big sign for the parcel force on the front door saying "Sleeping baby please knock quietly" (They are supposed to be delivering my new cosatto duet lite today )

My cold is still bad but thanks to all the stuff I have dosed myself up with I am managing my ears are blocked but maybe that's a good thing
    I just had a good laugh and I am almost in the same position- the only difference is that the screaming child is my own!!! My son is now 15 months old and he is not happy about the two little girls in his house. These little girls are ok but they are here from 7:30 until 5pm in the afternoon. very long day for me and i want to start crying- and this is only my second day. how do i settle this child of mine ???????????? is there any help or advise out there please

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Its tough when they first start, after being on maternity leave for 10 months I was in at the deep end when I returned to a new 13 month old and also my clingy 10 month old! We had some good weeks quickly followed by some awfull weeks but now it is great. He rarely cries and they all play so nicely and love each others company.
    I hate settling lo's in, especially if you also have others to care for. Hopefully it wont take long for him to settle.
    How often do you have him?

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done on getting him to sleep!

Are you sleeping now, after your noisy day?

xx

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done Ami you did fab!!

Hows your new buggy?
    XX Jill XX

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done hun
    Liz xx

Dec 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    This is my 1st time on here, but just wanted to say I totally understand wot your going through. Its so hard when they cry. Sure their Mums think we lie wen we say "They settled after 5 mins" but they do. I have a 20 month mindee who has only just started crying and she been wiv me since Aug?? Such a happy child, but gets quite upset, then once Mum has gone, she rings our bell and sort of clicks into childminding mode!! ODD??? Chin up hun, honest once you have their blessing and they understand its FUN at yours they will love it x Can I ask have you any ideas on a questionnaire for parents, I was thinking of doing one. Like am I good, do I need to make changes??? Any help would be much appreciated. Cheryl x