Do you celebrate only on the day?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    0ct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you celebrate only on the day?

Was just wondering if a festival falls on a day when you don't have minded children or they are just babies can we quietly ignore them?? or do you feel obliged to celebrate on the nearest day.

Can anyone recommend a good book with all the festivals in and activities that can be done.

Caroline

TheBTeam Guest

Default Re: Do you celebrate only on the day?

I usually do them at a craft group with a group of minders in the week before the festival, and depending on the activity will sometimes do it with others than come on a different day. If not all of the children do the activity i do not get too worried as it usually evens out over a period of time, and i can not always keep repeating things for the one child who isn't there on the day.

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a full time mindee so he does everything really.

When I had part timers, I would do it as near as possible to something but didnt do all of them. Just picked the ones I liked!!!
    Helen

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We try and celebrate something from the major festivals during the appropriate week.

So this week we will be looking back at Easter and talking about the eggs we received. I will link it generally to the Easter story and we will decorate eggs if the children are inspired. Otherwise they will gallop round the garden as usual and I will hide some hard boiled eggs in the sand tray for them to find, try to balance them on spoons, get out the wooden musical eggs etc.

If a child is under 3 they usually have little understanding of the reason why you are doing activities but this should not stop you from exploring them. Just watch and listen and find out how the child learns and follow their interests to make your activities suit their individual needs

Lady Haha Guest

I have been concentrating on a lot of multicultural festivals, but as I don't actually care for any children who aren't from any other cultures, I tend to do the activity sometime during the month the festival is in!! We celebrated Holi last month, I know it was in March, but no idea when exactly!!! If I had a child from a culture whose festival we were learning about, I would be precise!

Other ones, like Mothers Day, Easter, Christmas etc are just done in the week or two leadingup to it.