Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default observations and learning journals

Hiya

I have an observation booklet for each child which contains a sheet 'all about me', a photo observation sheet, a sheet to put some of children's own work, and then also a sheet that to do observations under each of the 6 learning areas and then space for next steps.

Does this sound right? and also, could this also be their learing journals or do i need to do a seperate one of those??

Hope someone can help me!!!

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: observations and learning journals

observing through the EYFS and using next steps is your learning journal you dont need to do anything more.

There is no right or wrong way you need to do it how you feel is right and what you are comfortable with.
    Busy losing the will to live mwuahahahaha!

FEB09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My photo observation sheet has the Next Steps and the 6 areas of learning all in one. I note all the areas that the observation covers but I choose the main area of learning of the observation for my next steps. You seem to have exactly what I have in my learning journals. Keep up the good work.
    Sandy
    xx

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Do you keep a file for each child with observations or do you use a big folder and seperate them to each child? I am so confused with all this and have only just started minding so not done any obs yet! I have a learning journey book where I will put some examples of her work and photos for children to take away when they leave my setting but not sure what I am supposed to do document wise for obs?

I saw this post and thought I would ask you lot as you seem to know what your doing

Bex - Littlefriendschildminding

feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a file for each child which will have their obs in as well as some of their work as evidence and photos

Aug 06
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds fine to me
    ***** proofed the house but they're still getting in!

FEB09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bex1 View Post
    Hi

Do you keep a file for each child with observations or do you use a big folder and seperate them to each child? I am so confused with all this and have only just started minding so not done any obs yet! I have a learning journey book where I will put some examples of her work and photos for children to take away when they leave my setting but not sure what I am supposed to do document wise for obs?

I saw this post and thought I would ask you lot as you seem to know what your doing
    I'm new as well and got lots of advice from this website. I have a file for each child that contain many blank obs forms, their 'all about me' and their recent obs and photos of artwork (originals went home to mum)
    Sandy
    xx

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an obs sheet which has space to write the obs and add a photo, and boxes for each of the 6 developmental areas where I can write a few words saying how it relates. At the bottom there is a space to write what new things I have learnt about the child and the last bit is about next steps. All on A4 so I don't write loads!

I have a separate file for each child for confidentiality and also when the child leaves your care they are meant to take it to their next setting.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by breezy View Post
    sounds fine to me
    Same here
    Needs to Zumba