Paternity Leave Extended?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Paternity Leave Extended?

Hi All,

Read this this morning and wondered what you thought...firstly about extending maternity leave to twelve months and secondly about extending paternity leave?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009...hts-paid-leave

I think its a good idea that the men can have more than they have at the moment...I dont agree that women should have 12 months paid leave...although of course, I would have disagreed entirely when I had my kids! Haha!!!

Sx

Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Paternity Leave Extended?

When I first started babies came to me at 6 months and I found settling in much easier, now it is 9 months I have found that they don't seem to come before a year old and settling in it usually much harder. If mums now get a whole year paid, what age will it be before they come to you now???
    But I had such a pathetic amount of maternity leave and the pay was appalling so like you I would be in full agreement if I was expecting now instead of many moons ago!
    My mindees dads all very hands on so I think the extra paternity leave a good idea though.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know why they thought 9 months was a good idea...bang on time for seperation anxiety to kick in...are they mad???

Sx

Post Thanks / Like

My sentiments exactly!

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

I had to go back to work when my first dd was 6 weeks, and then I only got paid leave for the next 2 for 3 months! I'd have loved some more paid time off.
    Ali xx

May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

well in austria parents can be off for 3 years...
    You don't get paid for the full 3 years but your job will be open for you to return to.
    It used to be 3 years that mums were allowed to be off, but the way they have changed it to now is that one parent can take 2 years and 6 months off and the other parent - usually the dad- 6 months (not at the same time though)
    I know so many mums that don't want to put their kids into nurseries etc but have to go back to work... which I personally think is sad as they don't have a choice.
    I believe that parents should have more options available to them if they want to....
    but then if I think about some friends i have in china, they need to be back at work in less than 6 weeks (and that is full time..!! couln't imagine that at all!!)
    Nicole xx