Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default my puppy is scared

my puppy is 6 months old and she is so scared when other dog bark she loves the garden but then when other dogs bark she runs inside the house then starts shaking when we are out on her walks she just plays with the other dogs my problem is we are going on holiday in 2 weeks and she has to go to the kennels can anyone help me try and sort this out before we take her to the kennels when we had our other dog she was fine when dog barks ive never had this experience before

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: my puppy is scared

I have a similar problem. My puppy is fine in the park with other dogs but our next door neighbours have two very large and unfriendly dogs.
    Whenever they bark at her she runs inside.
    It has really put her house training back as she is too scared to use the part of the garden we wanted her to use as it's too close to their garden.

The worst thing to do ( apparently ) is to stroke and reassure the puppy when it happens as it reinforces the behaviour.
    We've been told to go out with her and keep giving her treats and stroking her when they're not there and just try to sit there all unconcerned when they start barking.

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for that i will try the treats in the garden

Sept 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

it sounds like the puppy is more scared when she cant see where its coming from? ive a idea you can get dvds for dogs of other dogs playing i know it sounds daft but if she becomes accustomed to the sound of dogs barking in the safety of the home she may realise theres no threat and she might stop being as scared . if you google the dog whisperer you may find help too and he has a show on sky 3. i havet a dog yet but i love it lol

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by haribo View Post
    it sounds like the puppy is more scared when she cant see where its coming from? ive a idea you can get dvds for dogs of other dogs playing i know it sounds daft but if she becomes accustomed to the sound of dogs barking in the safety of the home she may realise theres no threat and she might stop being as scared . if you google the dog whisperer you may find help too and he has a show on sky 3. i havet a dog yet but i love it lol
    thats a great idea about getting dogs barking in the house hopefully she will get sorted

amirose Guest

Quote Originally Posted by haribo View Post
    That is a great idea - I think you should definitely be a dog owner (I am one - have been for 4 years - & you have better ideas than me )

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can get your dog engrossed in a game or eating or whatever holds his attention in the garden he will get used to the noise being in the background.

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FizzysFriends View Post
    If you can get your dog engrossed in a game or eating or whatever holds his attention in the garden he will get used to the noise being in the background.
    we have tried that she is fine when mindees are in the garden making lots of noise but as soon as she heres that bark thats it she is running to the back door shaking fur stood on end i have tried carring on playing with her but she wont have it so we take her in then 5 mins later we go back out she doent want to so we pick her up again she is fine if no barking dogs about if there still barking we go through it all again