Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Further to 'should we take mindees shopping'

Thought I'd post a quote from the SCMA (scottish childminders association)

Quote:

Childminding Or Centre-Based Care?
    Being cared for by a childminder gives youngsters the opportunity to learn from real-life experiences. Everyday activities like shopping trips, school runs, family mealtimes and visits to the park teach children valuable life skills that may not be acquired so readily in centre-based care. These activities also educate children about their local environment and community.
    Ali xx

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Further to 'should we take mindees shopping'

yeah but a WEEKLY shop isn't an everyday activity

still have to disagree with taking mindees on a weekly shop, but can see the importance of popping to the shop to grab some fruit or veg
    IS BACK

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't take kids on full weekly shopping trip but i have regularly taken them to the supermarket for smaller lists. The children enjoy it but i have always been conscious that they will get bored with the trip and probably cause me more stress. Also - how sad is this - i enjoy going in the evening or at the weekend on my own, it sometimes feels like the only time i can get away from everything, and i like to have a good mooch around which i can never do with hubby or the kids in tow!
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Hebs, don't think they are referring to a big, weekly, supermarket shop.

We'll soon see though!

x

Mar 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't fully agree with taking mindee's on a full shop as they may get bored, also while your trying to gather the things you need 1 of the kids may run off. However i do take mindees to tesco with me a lot. But usually it's cos i havent had time to do the shopping at the weekend and i try to only get what i need for the children and do my shopping when dp finished work(shifts). Went yesterday with my 19 month old mindee, he loved helping put everything in the trolley and pushing it.lol

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cher25 View Post
    I don't fully agree with taking mindee's on a full shop as they may get bored, also while your trying to gather the things you need 1 of the kids may run off. However i do take mindees to tesco with me a lot. But usually it's cos i havent had time to do the shopping at the weekend and i try to only get what i need for the children and do my shopping when dp finished work(shifts). Went yesterday with my 19 month old mindee, he loved helping put everything in the trolley and pushing it.lol
    I am sorry but I think that doing the shopping is a learning experience. In the fruit and veg you can look at different fruit, discuss colour, texture where it comes from etc...

Look outside the box and you will see that it can be used within the EYFS.
    Debbie

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hebs View Post
    yeah but a WEEKLY shop isn't an everyday activity

still have to disagree with taking mindees on a weekly shop, but can see the importance of popping to the shop to grab some fruit or veg
    Just to say, I don't do the weekly shop with them either, just giving you some food for thought
    Ali xx

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't take my mindees shopping with me, too much hassle.

But I think there is nothing wrong with it at all.

We are only talking about being a supermarket for 30 to 45 mins not all day

LOOPYLISA Guest

I would't take them on a 'full' shop either, hubby does it

Mar 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieS26 View Post
    I am sorry but I think that doing the shopping is a learning experience. In the fruit and veg you can look at different fruit, discuss colour, texture where it comes from etc...

Look outside the box and you will see that it can be used within the EYFS.
    I agree with what your saying. I guess im thinking more personally, with mindee's im happy to wander around tesco if they are happy, but if they get bored and tired, then they may have a tendancy to lash out. 1 mindee punched me and kicked me in the stomach because we were taking ages in tesco. I have to say though i was actually unintentially in tesco for 1 hour yesterday, due to 19 month old messing about and wanting to look and help with everything. If he had been upset all the way round then i prob wouldnt take him again.

Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

Exactly Debbie.

To the untrained observer it may seem we are just doing our shopping on the child's time, but it's not liek that. Bit like when the kids help sort the socks, or hang out the washing, it's not about me taking advantage of them and using slave labour, it's about sorting, and pairing, and learning to use pegs, and colours and oh just about everything!

I know my own CCO's opinion is that general household activites are a huge boon to children, and we should be acitvley encouraging it all and tbh her opinion on it as she is inspecting me is the only one that matters to me

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mollymop View Post

We are only talking about being a supermarket for 30 to 45 mins not all day
    it takes longer than 45 mins for me to do a weekly shop online, nevermind a monthly shop with kids in tow
    IS BACK

registe
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hebs View Post
    it takes longer than 45 mins for me to do a weekly shop online, nevermind a monthly shop with kids in tow
    Golly heather how long

Me thinks you ought to write a list

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flora View Post
    Golly heather how long

Me thinks you ought to write a list
    i do have a list actually as all my meals are planned

BUT

you should see how big and how busy my local ASDA is, they have a service where an employee pushes the elderly around in chairs cos it's THAT big
    one of the new Walmart stores, sells furniture and everything
    IS BACK

dec 92
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

My feeling is that things should be done in moderation. A full weekly shop is not moderate and I as a parent would not be happy if my CM was taking my child every week to do her weekly shopping whilst I was paying her. Yes 1 or 2 trips a week to tescos to pick up a handfull of items I deam acceptable and educational. Actually I'd prefer my CM to take my child to the local shops and support the local community which I think is far more educational than tesco.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cheeky monkeys View Post
    My feeling is that things should be done in moderation. A full weekly shop is not moderate and I as a parent would not be happy if my CM was taking my child every week to do her weekly shopping whilst I was paying her. Yes 1 or 2 trips a week to tescos to pick up a handfull of items I deam acceptable and educational. Actually I'd prefer my CM to take my child to the local shops and support the local community which I think is far more educational than tesco.

What like the butcher, baker fishmonger, pet shop? I do all that and I unashamedly take them to tesco or waitrose to do a monthly shop once in a while. While we are there we visit the greengrocery, the fresh fish shop, the cheese counter, the butcher !!!!!!! Not every month, but I think that is actually preferable to dragging them out for multiple little shops at a supermarket every week.! I sometimes take three of them and they enjoy it because we make it interesting.

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    What like the butcher, baker fishmonger, pet shop? I do all that and I unashamedly take them to tesco or waitrose to do a monthly shop once in a while. While we are there we visit the greengrocery, the fresh fish shop, the cheese counter, the butcher !!!!!!! Not every month, but I think that is actually preferable to dragging them out for multiple little shops at a supermarket every week.! I sometimes take three of them and they enjoy it because we make it interesting.
    i couldnt agree with you more i would not want my children being taken to the shops 3-4 times a week for bits and bobs plus its more expensive to do this than spending under an hour doing the weekly shop with them if i went 3-4 times a week it would take me longer than it does to do the full shop
    my parents like the fact that their children are able to do this as they dont have time at weekend as this is spent as a family not shopping.
    the kids i mind would never hit out if they were bored and if you make it enjoyable for them by getting them to help and treating them to lunch after they should not be in the position of being bored mine certainly never are
    at my ofsted inspection in deceme=ber 08 it was mentioned that we went shopping she said not a problem as long as you are learning them things whilst there.
    as for using my local stores fine if you want out of date and mouldy food (they are under trading standards for this) but i personnally wont eat it so tesco it is

Post Thanks / Like

I think everyone is different and everyone will do their own thing whatever anyone says

Angel xx

Sept 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

of course we will angel- if people saw me with my mindees they would see i am following the childs interests lol we spend more time in the toy aisle than anywhere else. no one surely drags the kids kicking and screaming round the shops do they??? i think i must be missing something if people thik its wrong to go shopping a few times a week also my ofsted inspector loved the fact we go .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by haribo View Post
    of course we will angel- if people saw me with my mindees they would see i am following the childs interests lol we spend more time in the toy aisle than anywhere else. no one surely drags the kids kicking and screaming round the shops do they??? i think i must be missing something if people thik its wrong to go shopping a few times a week also my ofsted inspector loved the fact we go .
    I agree

If I want to go shopping I will ha

Mind you like I said before my hubby is bad enough on a big shop so I couldnt put up with the kids too
    So I will just stick to the little shops that we do at the moment

Angel xx

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast