Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No heating in nursery.

Hi my sister has just called me on lunch from her placement and the heating has gone. They did have a little heater in the baby room but its now off as its a danger. My sister says it cold in there. What is the rulling on this. Apparently parents have complained.

Thanks
    Louise

July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: No heating in nursery.

I don't know the rules but first day back after xmas hols Mitchells preschool was closed due to heating being broken. I WOULD SAY THEY have to have heating working due to health and safety or close.

Carol xx

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there's a certain temp it's not aloud to fall below or they have to close. Not sure what it is though. Try HSE website for info... http://www.hse.gov.uk/
    ''We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.''

Nov 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

the standards do say they room children are cared for in should be at a suitable temp and if an adult is saying its cold then the children probably are aswell and the nursery should close

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The HSE state limits for adults but not for children! So if the temperature drops below 16 degrees the adults are not allowed to work. The children are allowed to put on an extra coat!!!!!

There was a thread about this last week because someones scholl was closed this week because the heating boiler had broken down.

I guess the nursery manager has to make the call but the staff can complain if the temp has dropped below 16 degrees.
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 24-02-2009 at 01:54 PM.

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

what rickysmiths has said makes me understand how a nursery i worked in got away with it.

this was a huge 150 place nursery and the heating broke over the weekend for about 4 weeks in a row. every monday was freezing and we working in jumpers, coats etc and it was never closed. it was never mentioned about sending anyone home

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I did ask her if she looked at the temp but she had forgotten. I've asked her to check. Im really suprised as i helped her get the placement there as i knew one of the staff. My mindee who is a baby was there before i started to care for her. I hate the thought of her in the cold. I knew about the working conditons for adults as the heating was always going in the shop i worked at. The automatic doors never worked so were left open and the sea wind use to whip in. I use to go in with as many layers as possible.

Lou