Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Nappy changing

Registered Childminder since
    July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nappy changing

Hi would Ofsted have a problem with me changing nappies in the living room. At the moment I take my 2 toddlers upstairs to change, 1 child comes down on his own and I carry the other. However on Monday I start with another toddler who will also need carrying, I was thinking this could be too dangerous and maybe I should use the room or hall until one of them can use the stairs. But will Ofsted think this is unhygienic.
    Thanks for any advice
    Caz

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Nappy changing

I changed a little one on the lounge floor on a changing mat while inspector was here and no problem.

Much safer on the floor than a changing table as they can't fall off, I just make sure any wipes etc. are kept well out of reach of other children and I choose a quiet area out of the way. Always done it that way and always will.
    Pauline x

Dec '06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    V Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I always change my ones in the livingroom aswell. Its safer and saves having to take the other all upstairs with you.
    Fiona xx

Post Thanks / Like

yep agree i always change nappies in living room, where i have access to mat, wipes, etc.
    Lou xx

Dec 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Same here! I have always changed nappies downstairs in sight of others!

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Me too - i use a changing mat on the living room floor
    Marian x

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I change mindees downstairs but I do it in the hallway. I can still see the others but I like to give the one i am changing a bit of privacy and as I mind all boys the floor in the hall is much easier to clean than the carpet in the lounge

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I do mine on the floor in the the DS Loo but mine is stupidly big. I see no problem in doing it on the living room floor - When I lived in my first house which was very small I always changed my DS on the the living room floor - so long as you can access somewhere safe to dispose the wet/soiled nappy and then have safe access to handwashing facilities.
    Celest

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pauline View Post
    I changed a little one on the lounge floor on a changing mat while inspector was here and no problem.

Much safer on the floor than a changing table as they can't fall off, I just make sure any wipes etc. are kept well out of reach of other children and I choose a quiet area out of the way. Always done it that way and always will.
    ditto!
    Jen

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

i was wonderng about this issue with my inspection coming up. i'm worried about giving privacy to the one i'm changing. currently i do it in the lounge but my ds and sometimes dd is there as well. i was wondering about doing it in the hall but it's a bit awkward on the laminate floor for my kneesand also my ds would crawl down the hall from the lounge anyway!!
    Like my ideas on Facebook 'Play, naturally'

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I change mine in the hallway as its quite spacious but allows privacy for the one I am changing. I can also see clearly into the front room and also hear what anyone may be up to!! I sometimes find that if I do do it in the front room and its been a particularly smelly one, the smell can linger for some time.

At my inspection in May my inspector asked me what nappy changing facilities I had. I said that at present I didnt have any children in nappies, but when I do, I will get a change mat etc. She asked if I would get a proper changing station. I said that I wouldnt because a) I didnt have the room and b) because I think the floor is safer than a child being up high. I said for example, I have a 2 yr old and 1 yr old both in nappies. Say I am changing the 2 yr old and the 1 yr old begins to choke on something. I am then torn between removing the 2 yr old safely from the changing station or going to the choking baby. If I was doing it on the floor, the worst that can happen to the 2 yr old is that he may roll in his own mess which isnt pleasant but thats not as dangerous as choking. My inspector was fine with this.

Hope this helps

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do mine wherever I am. I ask the parents to put the change mats in the bags.
    Debbie

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i do mine in the living room its much safer as i can keep my eyes on the other mindees

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your advice I feel much better about my Ofsted inspection due any time now.
    Caz

June 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I change babies on my lap on top of a thin mat. Neither Ofsted or assessors have ever had a problem with it. What's important is that you wipe the mat down afterwards, dispose of the nappy properly and wash your hands. I have one of those little clips on my belt loop with a bottle of handwash attatched. Best thing since sliced bread