URGENT! What would you do?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default URGENT! What would you do?

Hi all,

I have a lady coming at 11 this morning who wants childcare to start on Monday (cutting it VERY fine, dont you think!). Only problem is, she reckons that the Job Centre are going to pay her fees for her. I usually ask for fees up front and REALLY dont feel comfortable working without sticking to my rule - particlarly as Ive been ripped off before when Ive done someone a favor.

Ive worked for this lady before, babysitting, so hope that she isnt going to mess me around as she knows me. I just have a bad feeling about it. Ive got two hours to decide - what would you do? Ive never heard of the job centre paying for someones childcare before. Its just too fishy for me.

Sx

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: URGENT! What would you do?

Don't know about the job centre thing , but I would go with my gut instinct. Don't work for nothing. Tell her your policies about payment and then it's up to her to choose you or not. If she's genuine she'll find the money.

apr 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiya,
    Dont suppose theyre open today either, are they ? so you could ring and enquire.
    Could you not ask for a deposit and get the rest on monday, if you take her on that is?
    Apart from that Im not much help, good luck anyway
    Mandy
    Mandy
    Anyone got any Chocolate Buttons?

Pipsqueak Guest

Yes I have heard of the jobcenter paying for childcare.

Its up to you - ask this lady how long it is before the JC pay and perhaps set a time limit on it. Ask her if she can give you even a small token deposit.
    Its a catch 22 situation isn't it - no money to pay for childcare therefore how on earth can you get back into work if you have no childcare....

If she hasn't messed you around for babysitting I would be tempted to give it go - after all its work. And your babysitting is what has prompted this lady to come to you in the first place.

Speak to the JC yourself on Monday if possible and see what the time schedules for payments are.

Good luck and I hope it works out

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have been paid by the job centre before.

They always pay... but in my experience never on my time.

So long as you accept you will have to wait for your money and don't get upset or stressed by it, I can't see any other problems.

It doesn't matter how many phone calls you make to them (waste of money) or whatever you write on your invoice (waste of ink), they will ignore it and pay in their own good time - usually somewhere between 30 and 60 days.

Hth

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies. I know my money-up-front policy is harsh, and I think a lot of people do balk at it...but like I say - Ive learnt the hard way do that. Every time I feel sorry for someone and let them off they mess me around.

I particularly do feel for this woman. Her partner has ******** off and she grew up in care so no family to borrow the money from. But Ive got problems of my own, you know. M&S wouldnt be going...ahh, poor her, shes got a hard life, she can pay for her shopping next week, would they?

But then this is a bit more difficult than M&S isnt it!! And a lot more money, too. Shes looking at about £900 for the month.

I think I will ask her if she can pay for a week and see how it goes. If I get some sort of payment I'll be happy I think. Just cant bear the thought of the stress of chasing someone for money AGAIN.

Sx

July 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Really tough one, I would ask for a weeks fees up front

We've all had times where we've struggled for cash to pay for things, knowing its coming iyswim

I would stress the importance of fees being payed as soon as physically possible, and once the job centre is sorted you'll expect them ontime

defo catch 22 as when its all sorted £900 a month is a fantastic amount

could you get a approx idea of when it will be sorted??? x

Mar 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

As someone said above, if you have had no problems being paid for babysitting I would probs go for it, I would however ask her to get a signed letter from the jobcentre saying that they will be paying you, ask her to go in and get it and bring it back with her on monday night.

come to think of it, do you need someone's signature from the jobcentre on the contract if they will be paying you? sorry never had experience with it so not sure how it works

Hope you sort it to your satisfaction

aly Guest

difficult one really
    i know she may be there now? let us know what you have decided

x

jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i personally wouldnt take on a risk like this around xmas when there is a chance u will b messed about and rely on that money for xmas stuff

monday is too short a notice in my opinion too

good luck on whatever u decide

leanne
    xx
    Don't let your halo slip and strangle you!!

Leanne
    xx

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't agree to anything UNTILL you have spoken to the job centre first!

Cecile
    x

Post Thanks / Like

Well.....she didnt turn up!! Grrr! I have sent her a text but have had no reply. (Not going to bother phoning her.) What a waste of my time. Im off about it, having been worrying about it, then getting myself ready for it on a SATURDAY. People are so inconsiderate.

Sx

July 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this gives you an insight into how things are going to be, if they mess you about now..... just be very careful, I know that things crop up, but to not let you know is rude.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it goes to show my gut instict was right about the whole thing sounding fishy.

Sx

Pipsqueak Guest

I'm sorry thats happened schnakes but at least you have good reason to turn it down now, follow your feelings. How rude and inconsiderate.

Hope something else comes along

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope she was not trying to get hold of your registration number to try and claim tax credits or something. If she comes back, just tell her no.
    Think of it as a lucky escape!

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

hi i have been paid of the job centre it was by cheque (it was a pain as i couldnt get to the bank) that was for the first week then tax credit paid it from then on every tues so i got paid tue nights now i get paid up front as ive also been messed around with parent all my parents are great about it as i explained what some people

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

was going to say, bit late to start on Monday

but she never turned up anyway

hope your okay

June 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

How rude of her not to let you know she couldn't make it.

Looks as though you may have had a lucky escape though...

Hope something else turns up for you soon

(and FWIW my fees are always up front, no exceptions, and I would never have had the courage to do that if it wasn't for this forum!!)

apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schnakes View Post
    Well.....she didnt turn up!! Grrr! I have sent her a text but have had no reply. (Not going to bother phoning her.) What a waste of my time. Im off about it, having been worrying about it, then getting myself ready for it on a SATURDAY. People are so inconsiderate.

Sx
    Not supprised you're mad, I hate it when this happens. But like you said you had a gut feeling about it and it was probably never going to work out any way.

Helen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast