Siblings..what to charge
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    apr 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Siblings..what to charge

Rght here we go.. For the 2 mindees I already have, I charge £4 per hour.
    Ive had a parent today who would like me to look after her two sons 1 at
    7mths the other 3yrs 6mths.

It would be 3 days one week
    2 days the following
    3 days the next week, and so on..

The baby I would have from 8.30 - 5.30/6pm,
    The eldest is at nursery till 12am on each all these days, so he would be with me 12-5.30/6pm
    She says shes never heard of anyone paying by the hour and said she would pay me £70 per day, does this sound ok? for some reason, I never thought about having siblings and dont have any idea wot to charge

Help needed please
    Mandy
    Anyone got any Chocolate Buttons?

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Siblings..what to charge

Don't think i'd look after any child where a parent would tell ME how much i'd be paid for looking after their kids!!

You don't work for her!

and £70 a day works out around £2 per hour per child

Also, what would happen if the 2 children you look after now find out they are paying TWICE the ammount as the other parent???

based on your current £4 an hour she should be paying you £136 a day

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

£70 per day is more than £4 ph isn't it?

9 hours for youngest
    5.5 hours for eldest (both based on collecting at 5.30)

14.5 x £4 = £58

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

ignore me i'm full of cold

still don't think i'd mind for her tho,

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you met her and do you like/get on with her?
    You need to decide whether you are going to charge a full day rate for the one at nursery (will you be caring for him in the holidays or teacher training days?). If so that would be a total of 19 hours per day (2 x 9.5 hours) which would be £76 at £4per hour.
    If you are only going to charge for a shorter day for the older child I would work on 15.5 hours (8.30-6.00 and 12.00-6.00) at a total of £62.50 per day. She may be impressed that you don't want to rip her off by charging her more than you do for other children.
    Also at 3 days one week and 2 the next it may cause you problems in filling up any of the spare spaces. In this situation many childcare settings (childminders included) would charge for 3 days per week.
    Think carefully about how it will affect your working days and do what works best for you!!
    In cloud cuckoo land somewhere

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I would charge when the older one is at nursery. I would also charge for three days a week. Like someone said she doesn't get to tell you , you get to tell her.

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mandy moo View Post
    It would be 3 days one week
    2 days the following
    3 days the next week, and so on..

How are you planning on charging for this full pay for when attending and then a retainer for hte days not used each week or just the hours worked
    The baby I would have from 8.30 - 5.30/6pm,
    The eldest is at nursery till 12am on each all these days, so he would be with me 12-5.30/6pm
    will you be responsible for taking hte child to nursery if so I charge for hte time they are in preschool nursery if I am to be responsible in an emergency

She says shes never heard of anyone paying by the hour I charge by the hourand said she would pay me £70 per day,err no she doesn't tell you what she will pay you YOUR BUSINESS YOU MAKE THE RULES does this sound ok? for some reason, I never thought about having siblings and dont have any idea wot to charge
    I do not operate a sibling discount they are taking up a place just as if they were from a different family using the same resources and food not half of them

Help needed please [/SIZE]
    You probably got lots of good advice on this and hope you got it sorted out
    love Kate
    Save the earth it's the only planet with chocolate

apr 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi sorry not to have replied earlier,its been a busy week or so, wot with half term and mum in law ill again.
    I met the Mum in question saturday teatime as it was the only time I had free, & she seem nice enough she brought the eldest with her and hubbie and baby who I didnt meet, as baby fell asleep in the car & dad stayed out in the car with him.
    Mum has a taken home a copy of my welcome pack wich lays out all my Fees, T&C's, Policies etc,
    We will have to discuss payment again as, I know this sounds daft prehaps, But I just want to be paid for the hours I do, I dont want to feel beholden to them in any way ie; if they ask me to do extra hours etc, just because they pay me a 'daily rate'/ extra.
    thanx for all your replies will take them all on board and has given me food for thought
    Mandy

Mandy

Apr-08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Your business your rules. If this was me it wouldn't be up for negotiation. If you are charging £4 an hour then that's what she pays, you are not a charity.

If I was in your position I would be a little wary about this parent if she is already being this way, could potentially be problems in the future. From a couple of bad experiences sometimes the money is just not worth the hassle.

By the way I charge the same rate for siblings as I do any other child. I am not a nursery where I can afford to give discounts. Plus remember you are self employed. Some of that £4 an hour you get paid you then have to pay towards N.I contributions, tax etc etc. I think some parents forget this and think we are all earning a fortune!

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I would charge my normal rate (no sibling discount) for the hours she needs you.

I would also charge a retainer for the week of 2 days to cover the 3rd day, as unless you are very lucky, you would find it very hard to fill. I wouldn't charge for the one at nursery until I colloected because I am soft lol!! BUt you will need to cover yourself on how that will work for the holidays.

I agree about only charging for hourly rather than daily, I too would rather be able to say, nope can;t have them today than feel because of a day rate I have to say yes

Hope it works out for you

apr 08
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks every one for all your advice,Im not too good at 'confrontaions' tho
    she has taken a welcome pack home which is pretty comprehensive with all T&Cs etc inside so we'll have to wait and see if I get my variation then take it from there
    so I guess I'll have to take the bull by the horn and be brave about it all and I guess if I get my variation I'll only have 2 places to fill,
    I'm lucky in the fact that my money is mostly my own as hubbie pays most of the bills, I pay for the food & I do more than my fair share, wot with house work, washing, running our own 2 kids about etc
    Thanks for listening
    Mandy
    Mandy