Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default think i ****** up

yesterday morning i was expecting a drop off of a mindee at my home at 7.30 well he was 10 mins late and i was getting my kids organised for school and i had to pick another mindee up at 8Am.

i took his lunch bag off the dad and asked him did he need his breakfast and i'm sure dad said no! then we got chatting and again i asked him does he need his breakfast and again i'm sure he said no!

anyway all was fine kid was a bit grizzly and wolfed down his lunch and pudding. mum came to pick him up early and away she went

got a phone call today from the dad saying they were terminating my contract because i didn't feed their son his breakfast but i asked twice

the mum won't speak to me and i don't know what to do!!!! i like having this little one around and i am seriously at a loss at what to do

do i phone ofsted and let them know whats happened????? and do i phone ncma

to be honest i ain't bother about the money it's only part time i'm just really upset at the mo

PLEASE HELP

Apr 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: think i ****** up

ANYONE

I WOULD NEVER EVER LET A CHILD SKIP A MEAL

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME

I SITTING HERE BAWLING MY EYES OUT

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i would have done the same thing.... you asked twice . i dont see what else you could have done.

i think i would inform ofsted just cover my own back...

hope that helps you.

(hugs to you)
    Sarah xxxxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have there been any other problems with the family before?

Presumably if the child is old enough to tell parents he missed breakfast then he's old enough to tell you he was hungry...

Or to ask for more food at morning snack time which would have rung alarm bells that he was extra peckish today...

I wonder if this missed meal thing is an excuse and something else is going on?

We all make the odd mistake but don't expect to have contracts terminated because of it...

Sending hugs xx

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Poor oyu, of course you wouldn't let a child go hungry. It sounds as if it may have been a misunderstanding that is all.
    Can you phone the parents and ask explain to them that you would never let a child go without their meal but you asked Dad twice in the morning whether he needed breakfast and he said no.
    Really it is up to the parents to let you know whether the child has had breakfast or not - Especially if not!!!
    Why should you have to worry about it so much. WHat about if you had forgotten to ask? At least you asked, where as he didn't even bother to let you know and it's his child!
    I feel amd for you.
    Don't let it make you feel too upset - It is not your fault.
    Give them a ring and explain.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh poor you

I think there is more going on here - I dont think its fair to end a contract with you just because a child missed breakfast
    Im sure if the child was hungry he would have told you?

Even if they do give you notice they still have to give you 4 weeks so they are going to have to face you when they bring their child
    I would then try to have a chat with them

If you cant wait till Monday give them a call and explain how upset you are

Its not your fault though so dont be upset

Let us know if you manage to speak to them

Angel xxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD :)
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with the others - sounds odd to me that they would terminate because of a missed breakfast

I would try & speak to them & explain what happened & see if there are any underlying problems you wern't aware of.

Also Angel is right - what about the 4 weeks notice period?

Katickles

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like this is an excuse to me. Everyone makes mistakes. Which goes back to the thread where a new parent got the place and time of pick up wrong and should he have been charged the extra hour. I said no because you could then not make a mistake yourself.

Back on topic, they still owe you 4 weeks notice and if they are this picky then you are well rid of them. Explain to the dad you DID ask twice and he answered NO twice. But dont worry about 1 missed meal. I dont think it constitutes as abuse.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Apr 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

he wouldn't be able to tell me as he's only 5 months thats why i double checked as his breakfast was packed in his back by his mum yet dad said no on two occasions

phone ofsted to let them know what was happening, they told me to write down what happened yesterday morning so will do that later on this afternoon.

i even said to the dad I just texted your wife as your were running late and i need to go pick up another child and not once did he mention breakfast until i asked him. it would have been a rush but i would have fed him anyway even gave him his porrige first them gave him his milk while we waited for the kids to go to school.

poor wee soul was very fussy yesterday but they won't return or answer any of my phonecalls so what else can i do i also think they will be wriggling out the 4 weeks contract clause too but can't get a hold of ncma.

i think the are hoping that if i don't do the 4 weeks thing then they won't report me now i'm getting really ticked off

Sept 06
    Post Thanks / Like

If it were me I would ask to meet up and have a chat with them. it sounds like there is more to this.

Be completely honest and upfront.

Then if they are still adamant about terminating you know you have been professional and done all you can.

Please don't be upset none of us are perfect and misunderstandings do happen.

hus to you xx

May 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

They cant terminate contract by text message. It must be written. How long have you had the baby for?
    Annie x

Apr 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wendywu View Post
    It sounds like this is an excuse to me. Everyone makes mistakes. Which goes back to the thread where a new parent got the place and time of pick up wrong and should he have been charged the extra hour. I said no because you could then not make a mistake yourself.

Back on topic, they still owe you 4 weeks notice and if they are this picky then you are well rid of them. Explain to the dad you DID ask twice and he answered NO twice. But dont worry about 1 missed meal. I dont think it constitutes as abuse.
    dad is now claiming he said yes so it's his word against mine

Apr 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by annie337 View Post
    They cant terminate contract by text message. It must be written. How long have you had the baby for?

i've had him for 8 weeks now he was settling in nicely

May 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by abba1772 View Post
    i've had him for 8 weeks now he was settling in nicely
    So previously how has it worked over breakfast? Do you give it normally every day or is it one of those casual things where you have to wait to be told if he needs it? What agreement did you come to with parents over it. If you are supposed to be a mind reader they should have made a note in his diary each morning telling you whether or not to give it. When they are late and you are rushing it can easily get missed.

I have a feeling (might be totally off here) but if you have had him 8 weeks and then 4 weeks notice = 12 weeks mum had to go back to work for to keep her maternity pay. This could have been her plan all along and now she is looking for an excuse to give you and has leapt upon this.
    Annie x

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

oh no hun

firstly big hug ((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))

Second have you got a cuppa

Do you normally provide breakfast? if not then *** is dad going on about.

At 5 months old, hows can the baby tell you, err I've not eaten yet, did he have mid morning milk at all? just to set the picture a bit more

Secondly, agree that sounds like a bit of a cop out from the parents! they are going against the working with parents , it goes both ways! If they are terminating, he need to write you a letter, and 4 weeks starts from the date you RECIEVE the letter

hope you get this sorted hun, after this I don;t think I could carry on, shows no trust from there side, and the fact dad is saying I said yes, doesn't go well for a good relationship further down the line

Apr 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by annie337 View Post
    So previously how has it worked over breakfast? Do you give it normally every day or is it one of those casual things where you have to wait to be told if he needs it? What agreement did you come to with parents over it. If you are supposed to be a mind reader they should have made a note in his diary each morning telling you whether or not to give it. When they are late and you are rushing it can easily get missed.

I have a feeling (might be totally off here) but if you have had him 8 weeks and then 4 weeks notice = 12 weeks mum had to go back to work for to keep her maternity pay. This could have been her plan all along and now she is looking for an excuse to give you and has leapt upon this.
    I give them a slip at the end of each day which shows what they've had to eat, when they had their nappies changed whether is was dirty or wet and when they have their nap times. I keep log books

i don't have him often in the morning only once out of 2 weeks but on tuesday the mum asked if i could have him from 7.30 instead of the arranged 12.30 and i agreed. think this might be a plot for them to get out their contract.

Apr 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rubybubbles View Post
    oh no hun

firstly big hug ((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))

Second have you got a cuppa

Do you normally provide breakfast? Sometimes when the parents are running late or they ask so because it was so early i asked did the wee man need his breakfast out of being nice, well thats went out the window if not then *** is dad going on about.

At 5 months old, hows can the baby tell you, err I've not eaten yet, did he have mid morning milk at all? they are weaning him of his bottles so he only has one at breakfast time then he has his jar of food at 11.45 followed by a fruit puree when i suggested fromage frais they said he didn't like it but i told them they need to make sure he's getting calcuim in his diet just to set the picture a bit more

Secondly, agree that sounds like a bit of a cop out from the parents! they are going against the working with parents , it goes both ways! If they are terminating, he need to write you a letter, and 4 weeks starts from the date you RECIEVE the letter

hope you get this sorted hun, after this I don;t think I could carry on, shows no trust from there side, and the fact dad is saying I said yes, doesn't go well for a good relationship further down the line i won't be continuing if i haven't heard from them on monday i will terminate the contract myself as like you said it won't do the relationship any good
    heads getting better now

May 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by abba1772 View Post
    I give them a slip at the end of each day which shows what they've had to eat, when they had their nappies changed whether is was dirty or wet and when they have their nap times. I keep log books

i don't have him often in the morning only once out of 2 weeks but on tuesday the mum asked if i could have him from 7.30 instead of the arranged 12.30 and i agreed. think this might be a plot for them to get out their contract.
    Well if it was a new arrangement to have him early the Dad should have made a point of telling you he needed his breakfast. FULL STOP!!!
    Annie x

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Poor you
    I agree that these parents are looking for a way out
    But why are they weaning him off his bottles so young?
    Seems a bit early too me

Hope you get it sorted

Marian x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't take this personally, just learn from it.

Oh and don't forget to bill them for the notice period.
    Debbie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast