Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Food Fee Changes and Notice

I'm asking on behalf of a friend whose brother has his daughter in childcare. He has just been told that the food fee charge is being increased with immediate effect. Is there a period of notice that should be given for this to happen.

Also, can anyone give an indication of a meal fee in London. He is currently paying £1.90 and it is being put up to £2.50.

Many thanks
    Wiggly
    x

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Food Fee Changes and Notice

Hi im ot 100% on this but as far as i know being a childminder means you are self employed and we provide a service so by rights a childminder can put up the rates for food if they so choose too im not 100% as i said ut thats what i think...

However i dont charge food but i do put £2 per meal per day onto my a accounts,
    Im not sure if we need to give notice but im sure it would be good practise to give notice if fees are goin to go up.
    Being in London i would have thought it would have been Higher,

Sorry im not much good

Im sure some others will be along to help you out
    Mum of 1 step mum of 3 Loving life.

Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Not in London so can't help with that, but I would say he should look at their policies to see if there is anything in there about it.
    I would have thought it courteous to give at least 2 weeks notice, if not 4, but if there's nothing in writing I don't suppose there will be much he can do about it.
    HTH

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

can't help you i'm afraid, but that sounds like quite a hike in price!!!!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Our school did this - on Friday of half term start and it was effective on the Monday we returned.

I would say to look at the contract. If the fee is stated in there I would expect notice as per contract and if not to be the same until agreed otherwise.
    Debbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have assumed that any changes in money would have to wait until the contract was renewed. Seems unfair that if it's stated in a contract that it could be changed with no notice. What does his paperwork and policies say?

If your friend is using a nursery, I am betting they have it covered in their policies.
    Why is "phonics" not spelled the way it sounds?

July 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tatia View Post
    I would have assumed that any changes in money would have to wait until the contract was renewed. Seems unfair that if it's stated in a contract that it could be changed with no notice. What does his paperwork and policies say?

If your friend is using a nursery, I am betting they have it covered in their policies.

My friend's brother is using a childminder!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for comments.
    Wiggly
    x

Post Thanks / Like

Seems unfair to me whatever the rights and wrongs are to put up prices with no notice what so ever

I have never put my food prices up but If I was going to do that I would give at least a months notice

I think its all about being polite at the end of the day

Angel xx

JUNE 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I myself would have assumed that the fee could only be changed upon a contract renewel. If he doesnt agree with the increase in fee's he would have to terminate the contract.

JUNE 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I myself would have assumed that the fee could only be changed upon a contract renewel. If he doesnt agree with the increase in fee's he would have to terminate the contract

Is the childminder a member of the NCMA, CAN he not contact them anyway and ask for clarification.

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I know the answer to this one!
    If the price is stated in the contract signed by both parties then contract renewal needs to be done after 4 week notice period given. However if the price is in a policy that has been signed by the parent then only a reasonable notice period needs to be given this is presumed to be around 2 weeks, but should really be 4 weeks...unless somewhere in the policy/contract it is stated that the provider reserves the right to ammend food fee charges without prior notice & this has been signed by the parent...in this case you can change the price overnight! As the child is with a CM...she can charge what she sees fit for meals, but around £2.50 seems about right for London..I know of nursaries that charge £3.00 per meal! (Depends what part of London though! I know school dinners around here are now £2.00 & they get their food subsidized which we don't...hope this has made sense!
    Last edited by Blaze; 28-08-2008 at 02:54 PM.
    Blaze x

July 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tash and everybody for all your comments which I'm passing on to my friend to pass on to her brother to address the issue - phew.

Wiggly
    x

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Blaze.

I think it would have been polite to give some notice of the increase anyway even if it isn't stated on the contract - there is no doubt food prices are rising though - I have been thinking about putting my own charges up for tea.

Miffy xx