Leuven scales
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Leuven scales

Post Thanks / Like

Default Leuven scales

Does anyone use this method with children or are able to explain it to me at all?! Thanks!

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Plymouth have this summary that might help in understanding :

http://www.plymouth.gov.uk/documents...lkitleuven.pdf

Simona would qoute this I expect:

Putting children at the centre of enabling environments - Kathy Brodie Early Years Training
    ( not sure where she is at the moment??)

I think this is where the characteristics of learning starts...children being curious and settled in their learning environment. I love this sort of research and theories and so wish our government would read and absorb it...rather than their importance being on early acquisition of knowledge and skills - they just give lip service to characteristics of learning...levels, scores, achievements, levels, levels, succeeding, progress, progress progress!!!!!! ( you may have noticed I have an opinion on this!)

There are lots to read out there about this.
    Brilliant that you have raised this mumofone.
    Last edited by FloraDora; 07-06-2016 at 07:58 PM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I note children's wellbeing and involvement regularly - it helps to know how they are engaging so I can plan better to support them in their learning.

I use smiley / sad faces on my monthly play plans and I share this with parents.

This is a useful article Daffodil 7 | Free Early Years & Primary Teaching Resources (EYFS & KS1)

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I find it easy to make notes on involvement and well-being while making normal obs, without needing a 'scale' (I like to keep it simple!). You probably do it without realising- on the positive side when you note how Johnnie was 'really concentrating', 'not easily distracted', or 'was very involved', or was 'chatting and singing while playing', or r'elaxed and smiling' etc etc. But also on the lower end of the 'scale' when you note how a child was angry about something, or easily distracted and not really getting involved, and you may note an idea to help support them by changing an activity/routine etc.