Thread: Maternity leave

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Maternity leave

Hello everyone!
    Just wonder how long was your maternity leave. I am pregnant with my first child and intend to take only four weeks off as I don't want to lose my clients and also need to start earning ASAP because maternity allowance is too low (for example only my rent is £1550).
    Did anyone take this short maternity leave? Is it manageable? My mum is coming over for two weeks to help with my baby when I open setting after four weeks.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

how exciting congratulations, I don't have children yet but obviously you know how demanding the job is but your rent sounds v expensive! My worry would be that you will regret not having more time with your new baby.. do you work 5 days xx

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, congratulations! I'm due to have my second child at the start of October and am planning to take 3 months off and begin again after Christmas. I took 6 months off when my first child was born 4 years ago although I wasn't a childminder at the time. I'm gutted that I can't take 6 months off this time around but quite simply I can't afford to! Is there no way you can't take any longer than a month? Only reason i ask is because having your first child can be a big shock to the system and very full on, (I'm sure you know!) and it can take a long time to get back on your feet, not to mention getting your energy back and your routines sorted, plus the baby into a good night time routine that gives you more sleep!. I wouldn't want you to end up resenting the families you work for because you feel robbed of precious time with the baby, or feel like you couldn't put 100% in because you're too tired. That's why I can't personally imagine going back before 3 months, but obviously people cope differently and you may be fine. Just food for thought

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I took a year and truly feel it was too short. I wish i had had more time. Take as long as u possibly can.

amirose Guest

I intended to do his with my first. I worked up until the Friday and my son was born Tuesday night. After the planned four weeks I had suitability discovered just how exhausted I was recovering from childbirth and coping with a newborn (who had severe silent reflux). I managed to get another two weeks from my very considerate families but after 6 weeks had no choice but to go back to work. It was SO hard!!! I was desperately trying to get my son in a routine but had to work around drop offs and pick ups, parents overstaying to chat, parents being late, school runs, it was literally awful. I was also breastfeeding and my son fed round the clock so I was having to answer the door to parents whilst feeding and working out how I would prepare lunch/tea for all the other minded kids.
    I am now pregnant with my second, my son will be 2 when this one is born so having discussed it with my fiancée - I will be giving up work I can't wait to be able to just concentrate on my babies. I will go back to it once my son starts preschool in September 2017 but I simply cannot wait to have all that time with my babies

Oct 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your replies!
    I wish I could take more time off, but my financial situation is stressing me. I already spent so much money on IVF (that was my only option to have a baby) and don't have enough savings to take more then 4 weeks off Also I work with an assistant and can't leave him without salary for months.
    I guess having my assistant will help a lot and we don't do any school runs. We work Monday to Friday from 8-6 and will have 4 (some days 5) children a day plus my baby. As this is my first child I really can't imagine how hard and demanding it's gonna be. I'll try to put my baby into a routine and do schedule feeding and bottle feed if it will make my life easier but who knows I might change my plans completely when he is born! I don't think I'll resent my parents as this was completely my decision and some of them told me to take more time off

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I am currently 3 days into my 4 weeks maternity leave and due this Thursday with my 3rd. No sign of baby yet I am now starting to get a little worried that I will go over due and then only have a week and a half to recover after. I am in the same situation with money and if I was to take longer off I would loose the children I have. All I can advice you to think about is when you will start your leave as I think I could of worked a little longer before taking mine.

Good luck

Oct 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by litlle acorns View Post
    Hi, I am currently 3 days into my 4 weeks maternity leave and due this Thursday with my 3rd. No sign of baby yet I am now starting to get a little worried that I will go over due and then only have a week and a half to recover after. I am in the same situation with money and if I was to take longer off I would loose the children I have. All I can advice you to think about is when you will start your leave as I think I could of worked a little longer before taking mine. Good luck
    Thank you for your advice. I intend to work till my due date but a bit worried that I will go over due and my maternity leave will be shorter too. Well babies they don't care about our plans Good luck to you too!!!!

amirose Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tulikraska View Post
    Thank you for your advice. I intend to work till my due date but a bit worried that I will go over due and my maternity leave will be shorter too. Well babies they don't care about our plans Good luck to you too!!!!
    I had the opposite, he came two weeks early and nicked the two weeks I had planned to myself for chilling out before he arrived!!! Although to be fair I was so tired and uncomfortable it probably wouldn't have been that enjoyable anyway haha.