Which board games/card games do your family enjoy?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Which board games/card games do your family enjoy?

We have several of the Orchard board games for the little mindees and I am wanting to buy some games for slightly older children. At the moment we are loving Connect 4, dominoes and Rummy. I'm a bit bored of Snakes and Ladders. Any recommendations?

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yahtzee is always good and you can play at all sorts of levels, more assistance/ less assistance needed.

Uno was our family favourite from very young to very old - our youngest, zero concentration gadget lad, got hooked too when they brought out a version that had a machine to dispense cards.

I need to build up my games for LO's - had a lovely orchard games christmas game that was played to death - need something similar now. Have looked at the various food related ones - pizza - cup cakes but description of game doesn't rock my boat.
    Which one would you recommend ?

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Orchard toys tummy ache, shopping list, and dominoes are good.
    I love snails race.
    Cranium hullabaloo is a good game.

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Yahtzee is always good and you can play at all sorts of levels, more assistance/ less assistance needed.

Uno was our family favourite from very young to very old - our youngest, zero concentration gadget lad, got hooked too when they brought out a version that had a machine to dispense cards.
    ?
    Uno here too. We also like scrabble Kerplunk monopoly and risk
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Off the top of my head, my 2/3/4 year olds love the orchard 'Ladybirds' game and the 'Spotty Dogs' game - both great for one-one correspondence. They obviously love picture dominoes and picture bingo. I also love playing 'Sounds Lotto' with them - great Letters and Sounds phase 1 activity. Can't think of any food related games that we have. We do have the orchard 'Gingerbread Man' game. It's ok, I had to simplify it a bit or mine. We also like 'Old Maid' and 'Go Fish'.

I keep meaning to learn the rules for Uno as I have never played it and it does seem really popular. I was also thinking about getting the Christmas game but never got round to it. I might get it then if it's good.

9. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Shopping List and The Lunch Box Game are massively popular here with all ages. Older ones also enjoy Rocket Ship and

Temple Run is good for older ones, also Uno, Killer Bunnies (can be complicated, definitely not for littlies, though there is a simpler kids version available), Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, Pirate's Cove and Settlers of Catan have all been popular here with the after schoolies.

Uno is dead easy to learn, Maza, you just match the colour or number on the card, or follow the instructions on the wild cards (change colour or pick up some cards). I am the worlds worst card player (the despair of my poker playing family), and Uno is about my perfect skill level!

11. Likes Maza, FloraDora liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our faves at present are "sounds fun"where you match everyday sounds to the ones on your cards and "animal soundtrack" which is the same but animal sounds. "matching games", "monopoly empire" which is a much shorter version of monopoly where you purchase companies. "Jenga", "operation", "guess who". I also enjoy downloading different versions of bingo.

13. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Forgot ... we also love incy wincy spider by Orchard toys!
    Another sound lotto fan here, plus we have a nursery rhyme sound lotto ( and for the older children ... sound times tables lotto!!! ) also play alot of 'normal' lotto and pairs.
    Schoolies are currently into fraction lotto ( yep ... matching fraction equations to pictures! ) and frustration, with a side line in Simon swipe!
    Xx
    Last edited by loocyloo; 07-03-2015 at 06:17 PM.

15. Likes Maza, FloraDora liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natlou82 View Post
    Our faves at present are "sounds fun"where you match everyday sounds to the ones on your cards and "animal soundtrack" which is the same but animal sounds. "matching games", "monopoly empire" which is a much shorter version of monopoly where you purchase companies. "Jenga", "operation", "guess who". I also enjoy downloading different versions of bingo.
    Oh yeah, Guess Who is a favourite here too! We have the animal version. We also love 'Headbands'.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Favourites at the minute - we're going on a bear hunt, the hungry caterpillar, frozen happy families, poo top trumps, junior monopoly
    Last edited by blue bear; 07-03-2015 at 07:29 PM.

18. Likes Maza liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I play Uno with mindees from age 2 - to teach them their colours, then to match numbers - just play a really simplified version without the trick cards (pick up 4, miss a go etc).

They also like Frustration, Tumbling Monkeys (don't know if it's still available - bit like Kerplunk), Guess Who, Dominoes, Picture Word Lotto, Number Lotto, Top Trumps, Sound Lotto, Healthy lunch game (can't remember what it's called.

20. Likes Maza liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Rapidough always a hit here - like pictionary (another fave) but you have to model your word in playdough

22. Likes Maza liked this post
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

A game that is a favourite with our family is Mexican train. It's a domino game, but the spots go up to 12 on each end.

We have introduced other family members to the game, ad they have all been and bought it too.

24. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

DD has just had me playing her new favourite game!

'who, what, where ' ( jr version ) ... pick 3 cards and draw what they say ( ie a bear eating sweets on a boat ) and the other player has to guess what you've drawn!

and I kept thinking .... ooo I must tell people!

26. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooh I like the sound of that game xx

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We got Mancala for our daughter at Christmas. We really enjoy it.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tealady View Post
    We got Mancala for our daughter at Christmas. We really enjoy it.
    Never heard of that one - will check it out. x