Observations
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Observations

Post Thanks / Like

Default Observations

When should observations be done/carried out? Are these something that should be done for each child weekly/monthly? Or just at critical ages like 6 months, 1 year, 2 years etc?

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I aim for four a month, but children don't develop once a week so I might do four in a day and none for weeks, I might do lots one month and hardly any the next month. It's all about following the child. Anything they do that makes me go wow I didn't know you could do that is definitely an observation, plus anything I want to look at in their development, so of a four year old's speech was concerning me I might plan regular observations to monitor progress and have regular next steps to keep progress moving forward.

I also do more lengthy summative assessments (Indepth report of each area of learning with next steps and parent input. ) I do one three months after child started then one on their birthday and one six months later - these are optional the only now you HAVE to do in the two year check (between 24 and 36 months)

3. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Blue Bear, I watch out for "wow" moments and document these - I typically get between 2-6 of these per month (it also will depend of the length of time you have the child also). I look out for areas that I want to watch and help develop over a period of time and document these. I do assessments also - Starting Points (after about 6 weeks), Birthdays and 6 monthly intervals as well as the required 2 yr check. I know I don't have to do all of these but it's more so I have a record of progression.