"Reception" class -what age?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "Reception" class -what age?

What age is a child in "reception class" and how are the school years structured now? It's changed since I was at school!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    What age is a child in "reception class" and how are the school years structured now? It's changed since I was at school!
    Children enter reception at 4 ..so the terms after they reach their 4th birthday even those children born 31 August...and youngest in the class

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Children enter reception at 4 ..so the terms after they reach their 4th birthday even those children born 31 August...and youngest in the class
    Thanks Simona :-) and then how is it done until they go to secondary/high school at age 12 into year 7?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Thanks Simona :-) and then how is it done until they go to secondary/high school at age 12 into year 7?
    Oh my goodness...I am not the best at this but I believe it is in Key Stages ...KS1 and KS2 ...KS1 is year 1.... after reception.... and so on
    I am sure someone else will explain the school system better than I can

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sept after 4th birthday = start reception year

Infant school =
    age 4-5yr reception
    5-6yr Y1
    6-7yr Y2

Junior school (can be in same school as infant years, know as 'through primary')=
    7-8yr Y3
    8-9yr Y4
    9-10yr Y5
    10-11yr Y6

Senior school=
    11-12yr Y7
    and so on for Y8 and Y9
    Y10 and Y11 are GCSE years
    Y12 and Y13 are A-levels etc 'sixth form college' or at school etc

EXCEPT areas that have 'middle school', and they are different.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Sept after 4th birthday = start reception year Infant school = age 4-5yr reception 5-6yr Y1 6-7yr Y2 Junior school (can be in same school as infant years, know as 'through primary')= 7-8yr Y3 8-9yr Y4 9-10yr Y5 10-11yr Y6 Senior school= 11-12yr Y7 and so on for Y8 and Y9 Y10 and Y11 are GCSE years Y12 and Y13 are A-levels etc 'sixth form college' or at school etc EXCEPT areas that have 'middle school', and they are different.
    Fantastic, thanks so much Moggy :-))) (as always!)

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my goodness...I am not the best at this but I believe it is in Key Stages ...KS1 and KS2 ...KS1 is year 1.... after reception.... and so on
    I am sure someone else will explain the school system better than I can
    Thanks Simona. Mein Gott, but it's a relief to know I can finally come out of the closet and admit to being confused by all the years/key stages, and not be all alone.

The only thing I know is: no matter how old they are, any child undergoing transition from preschool to infants; from infants to juniors; or from juniors to secondary, will be going up to "Big School."

8. Likes AliceK, Maza liked this post
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget 'rising 5's' -the time they are in a reception class or equivalent, between the age of 4 and 5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    Don't forget 'rising 5's' -the time they are in a reception class or equivalent, between the age of 4 and 5
    Lol just to complicate matters! Thanks kristie :-))

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Thanks Simona. Mein Gott, but it's a relief to know I can finally come out of the closet and admit to being confused by all the years/key stages, and not be all alone.

The only thing I know is: no matter how old they are, any child undergoing transition from preschool to infants; from infants to juniors; or from juniors to secondary, will be going up to "Big School."
    Bunyip...I have lived in England for more than 40 years and still can't make 'head or tail' of the school system
    Every time I think I have got it...along comes the next govt and changes everything....so I assume Tristram Hunt will do the same as Gove and confuse me even more ...that is if he gets elected but then ....anything is better than Gove and his successor

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    Yeah, like I'm not confused already.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Bunyip...I have lived in England for more than 40 years and still can't make 'head or tail' of the school system
    Every time I think I have got it...along comes the next govt and changes everything....so I assume Tristram Hunt will do the same as Gove and confuse me even more ...that is if he gets elected but then ....anything is better than Gove and his successor
    I just think that if you're not prepared to go out and riot, then do you have the right to complain about the way the country is run?