Individual routines
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Individual routines

I'd like to be inclusive and am aware parents have a way of doing things with their LO but when you mind them do they have to fit into your routine or do you accommodate each individual?

I have had an enquiry from 2 parents who both have quite strict routines. The routines wouldn't fit in with my already planned lunch times and school runs as their lunch/naps are different to mine.

How would you work this?

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I would try to accommodate as much as is reasonably possible but if parents don't want you to bend their routines at all then they may be at the wrong provider - after all you have to do the school run so if lo is asleep/needs feeding then this will have to fit in around what you can't change. If I'm at home I would try to do what parent does for the child's sake but it is impossible to stick to everyone's strict routines.

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I try to accommodate families routines but you are not going to be able to accommodate all routines all the time. School runs are non-negotiable I have to do school runs as I have 2 DDs at different schools. Parents need to be aware that when they come into a childminding setting there has to be a compromise sometimes as we care for several children of different ages. If they are not willing to compromise they need a nanny that only cares for their child so can follow their routines.

I have set food times for older children but babies in particular often fall either side of this and I accommodate and earlier/later breakfast, lunch or tea and eventually they move to eating at the same times as the rest.

The baby I have now has no routine at all which is just as disruptive as I cannot plan when he will eat/sleep from one day to next

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, they might need a nanny if they are no willing to compromise - you can't split yourself in two! I had a little one when I was new and wanted to please the family. His routine was so rigid that it really go me down in the end. Because I only had my DD and no other mindees I stuck to his routine, which meant my daughter had to stay indoors for huge chunks of the day because he had two naps a day, slap bang in the middle of any playgroup session, and could only sleep in a silent, darkened room. I am so angry with myself that I did this and will never agree to it again. Mindee then started going to a nursery for two days a week (coming to me for the rest of the week) and he had to fit in with their routines - one sleep and in a semi dark room with lots of other children. He is now so much more adaptable and I can let him have a sleep in the pushchair if we want to go out and about. Children do adapt - be strong, parents have to be realistic! x

7. Likes tulip0803 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I'll be honest with parents from the start I think, offer to accommodate as best I can but fit into a routine that's best for everyone (including myself) it's hard when first starting out as I want to please everyone and get a good name but I need to start as I mean to go on!

9. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leahsfx View Post
    Thanks I'll be honest with parents from the start I think, offer to accommodate as best I can but fit into a routine that's best for everyone (including myself) it's hard when first starting out as I want to please everyone and get a good name but I need to start as I mean to go on!
    I always tell parents it is a mix of both.: I fit into their routine as far as possible (usually this is mostly about two naps a day) and they start to adjust to ours. I also tell them that little ones can manage two different routines they get to know what happens at home and what happens at childminders. I think the routine I have is pretty average for little ones aged 1 to 3 which is the age range I seem to end up with, so not unreasonable, the problem is parents who want what I offer (lots of outings and toddler sessions) but also want a rigid routine including a sleep morning in a cot!

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    I agree, they might need a nanny if they are no willing to compromise - you can't split yourself in two! I had a little one when I was new and wanted to please the family. His routine was so rigid that it really go me down in the end. Because I only had my DD and no other mindees I stuck to his routine, which meant my daughter had to stay indoors for huge chunks of the day because he had two naps a day, slap bang in the middle of any playgroup session, and could only sleep in a silent, darkened room. I am so angry with myself that I did this and will never agree to it again. Mindee then started going to a nursery for two days a week (coming to me for the rest of the week) and he had to fit in with their routines - one sleep and in a semi dark room with lots of other children. He is now so much more adaptable and I can let him have a sleep in the pushchair if we want to go out and about. Children do adapt - be strong, parents have to be realistic! x
    Gina ford baby then!!

12. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rubybubbles View Post

Gina ford baby then!!
    :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

14. Likes Koala liked this post