Charges for parent's holidays.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Charges for parent's holidays.

He parent of a 3 after school children I look after had agreed to pay me in full for her own holidays and nothing if I take a holiday. Originally she stayed that she would want care in the school holidays but had taken annual leave for the Feb half term. However last week she said that she only had 2 of the days off but I had made plans with my own family in the days she wanted me and so she has now taken the whole week off.

Now although our contract states that she should pay in full it feel that I would be a little unfair to charge this. Could you please advise me what you would do in this situation?

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

What I would do isn't entirely applicable, as I don't charge for any holidays: neither mine nor parents.

The most pertinent question is 'what would the client do if her employer had done to her what she is doing to you?' Here's the parallel. Her boss gives her a week off, paid. She makes arrangements for things to do with her family. Her boss then says, "actually, I need you to come in and work 3 of the days in the week I gave you off." Would mum really reply, "I've got things planned, but I'm happy if you dock my wages by those 3 days?" or would she quite reasonable expect her boss to stand by the what they'd previously agreed?

I guess this will depend a lot on what's in the contract about notice for holidays/changes, and your relationship with the client........ which means you know better than I do.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that Bunyip, I do ask for 4 weeks notice of any changes in my contract so I do feel within my rights to charge. I've only been having these children for 6 weeks and mum can be a little "dramatic" at times so I think I'll test the water with her on Monday. Great advice, thank you! x

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TraFerd View Post
    Thanks for that Bunyip, I do ask for 4 weeks notice of any changes in my contract so I do feel within my rights to charge. I've only been having these children for 6 weeks and mum can be a little "dramatic" at times so I think I'll test the water with her on Monday. Great advice, thank you! x
    A good thing to do is to have a holiday form. Yes its an extra piece of paperwork but if you fill it out and get parents to sign it then you can always refer to it in such situations like this

Put on a time limit where you will accept changes too
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

5. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    A good thing to do is to have a holiday form. Yes its an extra piece of paperwork but if you fill it out and get parents to sign it then you can always refer to it in such situations like this

Put on a time limit where you will accept changes too
    Will my Finn Family Moomintroll calendar suffice instead?

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Will my Finn Family Moomintroll calendar suffice instead?
    Send me a photo and I will tell you
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Post Thanks / Like

Love the holiday form idea thanks, it would help to avoid any misunderstandings.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If you feel that you want to compromise you could always keep the 2 days full and go 50/50 on the other 3? just this once
    Debbie

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that's a good idea, so long as I make it clear that in future I will charge full. Think I'll test the water and if mum makes a fuss I can compromise with the 50% fee. Thanks so much everyone.