how to wake a toddler
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default how to wake a toddler

Hi, I've been informed by a childminder that she will put a childs hand under running water to wake them up, does this sound ok? It sounds like torture to me. She's used this technique on a child who has recently turned 2 and claims that the child was not upset or distressed in any way. What are your thoughts? Thanks

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats a old girl guide trick but it does tend to bring on bladder urges if you get my drift. I dont think id do that to a child. I just call their names gently. X
    If all else fails......add glitter!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds a bit odd to me - surely she would have to disturb them anyway to get their hand to the running water?

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

4. Likes EmmaReed84, loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    Sounds a bit odd to me - surely she would have to disturb them anyway to get their hand to the running water?

Miffy xx
    That's what I thought. as soon as you move them, they would probably wake up...

One of my mindees falls asleep, and usually is still asleep right when I need to do the school run, she is also one miserable moo when she wakes up LOL... So, about 10 minutes before I actually need her awake, I sit beside, gently stroke her hair and talk softly to to her, then when she starts to stir, I pick her up and she cuddles on my knee for about 5 minutes, then she starts to talk and by the time we need to go, she is my little happy mindee again!

6. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaReed84 View Post

One of my mindees falls asleep, and usually is still asleep right when I need to do the school run, she is also one miserable moo when she wakes up LOL... So, about 10 minutes before I actually need her awake, I sit beside, gently stroke her hair and talk softly to to her, then when she starts to stir, I pick her up and she cuddles on my knee for about 5 minutes, then she starts to talk and by the time we need to go, she is my little happy mindee again!
    Thats what I do with a heavy sleeper I have here. I got caught up with another lo last week though. When lo didn't get all the gentle waking they cried all the way to school and didn't know why.

It does seem strange to put their hand under cold water though. I dont think I would like that being done to ds.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by prinlin View Post
    Hi, I've been informed by a childminder that she will put a childs hand under running water to wake them up, does this sound ok? It sounds like torture to me. She's used this technique on a child who has recently turned 2 and claims that the child was not upset or distressed in any way. What are your thoughts? Thanks
    Prinlin....Sorry about my reply.... but I am a bit upset and puzzled by the statement made by this CM...

can you ask her in which child development book she has found this method of waking children up??

I think it is not necessary to use such tactics....I am also concerned this forum is open to parents who may have a problem with reading this..

Sorry again ..this is not aimed at you but her

Apr 92
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by prinlin View Post
    I think she is jesting with you. Waterboarding probably falls short of the Geneva convention.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to try it on my husband to wake him up in the morning, but I'm not sure how I'll get him to the bathroom

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaReed84 View Post
    That's what I thought. as soon as you move them, they would probably wake up...

This is exactly what I have to do with one of mine too, otherwise if he is woken too quickly or made to do anything too soon he will be "off" for the rest of the day. After a little cuddle he's usually fine.

xxxx

12. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

sometimes if I have to wake a LO ( using the gently gently approach ) and then go on the (walking) school run, I find a small biscuit also works wonders ( works for me too! )

14. Likes EmmaReed84 liked this post
    Aug 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

How about replicating how they wake us up?

a foot in the face, bouncing on their bed, shouting.......

I'm joking of course ;0)

16. Likes Kiddleywinks, AliceK, EmmaReed84, Tealady, Maza liked this post
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rickers83 View Post
    How about replicating how they wake us up?

a foot in the face, bouncing on their bed, shouting.......

I'm joking of course ;0)
    I think that is a FABULOUS idea...

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I imagine it would be rather unpleasant to have my hands under water when asleep. Why do it??
    I gently wake toddlers up. I have one who gets emotional if she is woken too quickly loudly. I say 'time to wake up' gently then go back in after a few mins and have little chat 'what did you dream about..' Etc

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why you'd need to do this? Often they just wake up themselves but if I need to wake them for a school run or something I tend to open the curtains quietly a few mins before and leave the door open wide so they have a chance to wake up before I just pick them up.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if you have misunderstood her, in the morning if I'm still sleepy and not with it, I run my wrists under cold water, as the nerves are stimulated by this and it "wakes me up" so to speak. Could this not be what she means? I think it's an old wives tale, it's something my nan told me to do years ago!! X

Post Thanks / Like

...wouldn't suggest to do with toddler, but if that's what she means it's not torture, it's not half as bad as it sounds xx

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

As a parent I would not be happy if I found out someone was doing this to my child to wake her up. Very strange method to use xx

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    sometimes if I have to wake a LO ( using the gently gently approach ) and then go on the (walking) school run, I find a small biscuit also works wonders ( works for me too! )
    Lol! That is exactly what I used to have to do with my son. It was a delicately balanced operation to wake him up! Enough time; minimal eye contact or talking; and an energy boost from a beaker of milk and a biscuit.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Well... Yesterday I had to do the school and ALL THREE mindees were fast asleep, I lost track of time as I was doing some paperwork and didn't have time for hte gentle approach, so had to start getting grouchy mindee's shoes on, she woke up and instantly starting crying. I tried everything to calm her down... then I remembered, it as someone's birthday at playschool and she was given a mini bag of Haribo!

Thank god for sweets, that's all I can say. They saved the school run...

Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Last year on holiday at a caravan park my lovely daughter then 6 woke me by throwing a cup of freezing cold water over me (the holiday reps where telling all the kids to do this the night before!!) what a shock I got ad was hopping mad! But I was awake!!

For mindees I tend to just lift them up and sit on my knee 10 mins before we have to leave x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast