learning letters and phonics
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default learning letters and phonics

2yo mindee knows the alphabet and can recognise and pick out certain letters when asked to. Which is amazing for his age
    Now I'm worried that he is going to struggle when he starts learning to read. He knows the leeters by their proper sounds and not the phonics way (if that makes sense)
    Do I now start teaching him them again but the way he'll need to know them when he learns to read or leave it and let pre school do that?
    I'm so proud of him but I don't want him to now be at a disadvantage.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When he says A you could just emphasis words that begin with an A and the sound that an A makes. I watch the Jolly Phonics clip on youtube with my mindees and after going on a letters and sounds training session am going to make a lotto game with beginning sounds.

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

In my local school in reception they do focus on jolly phonics but also teach kids the letter name as letters don't always make the correct phonetical sound in words and some letters when paired together make a diff sound like a c+h.
    My kids knew most of their phonics before starting school and that helped them hugely, so I would start introducing them along side the letter names by finding words or objects that start with the sound.
    My kids all love they jolly phonics songs on you tube a fav at the moment is a a a a ants on my arm they're causing me alarm!

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If he's ahead enough to know letter names and also recognise them, then I expect he'll easily pick up phonics. It's just that your 'next steps' for him will be backwards.

Observation: x knows alphabet and can pick out certain letters.
    Next steps: learn phonic sounds of letters

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone
    I'll have a look at the jolly phonics tonight and maybe start doing some with him tomorrow

Sept 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you know which pre school he'll likely be going to and have any kind of links with them, it might be worth finding out how they'd handle it so you know for sure you're singing from the same hymn sheet?