Outcomes are the 'focus' for the new inspection framework
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default Outcomes are the 'focus' for the new inspection framework

Sue Gregory spoke at the 4Children conference yesterday

Outcomes focus for new Ofsted early years framework | Children & Young People Now

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Members of our Facebook group are having a bit of a panic about the 'teaching' element of the updated inspection schedule.

It's important to remember that we are already teachers! We teach children (with parents) how to do up coats, wash hands, go to the toilet, say their name, ask a question, post a letter, spot a bird... we do the groundwork for school already! teachers don't want children who can read or write - they want children who have the prime areas well established and who are working on the specific areas...

I hope this reassures!

3. Likes desiderata, wendywu liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHH !

teachers know what they want .... but do Ofsted know what teachers want? or, do they want us to be sending children to school reading and writing? !!!

I have a mindee recently started in yr R ... teachers said they knew LO must have been new to me ... as LO is NOT independent and 'ready for school' !!! unlike other mindees who are self sufficient!

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree, Sarah, but the change in emphasis is worrying.

6. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Simona Guest

Ofsted have been going on about 'teaching' for a long time but I don't feel that is anything new....pedagogy is embedded in our practice.
    I do not feel panic as long as the inspectors have a uniform approach to observing our teaching and during the observation that has to take place in an inspection we can demonstrate what we are doing, why and how that benefits that particular child

Children have a unique learning style...Visual, auditory or kinestetic... it is usual for a child to be visual and kinestetic at the same time
    If our teaching adapts to those and we include all children I see no problem

I also think they will be looking at how to scaffold, support and extend a child's learning with Sustained Shared Thinking...so a few theories used in our teaching will be very useful....such as Vygotsky's ZPD, Listening to the child and allow children to lead in their learning

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sing-low View Post
    I agree, Sarah, but the change in emphasis is worrying.
    I also meant to add that while children have Characteristics of Effective Learning there are also Effective Teaching characteristics ...the more you are in tune with a child the more you support their learning the better the Outcomes!!