Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    sept 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reins for 2 year old

We recently had a child leave us due to mums work commitments and finding a minder closer to home she was really upset to leave us but as she had another child at school she thought it may be easier in the mornings as we are 20 minutes away from home . She came round with cards and presents and then asked us about reins/backpacks we explained for piece of mind we always used them when we were any where near a road for all walking children, she said her new minder said to her (baring in mind they walk on an extremely busy road every day as its outside this ladys house!)that I don't do reins or wrist straps the child will hold her hand TO START WITH! The child is 2 and was a very late walker so not that stable on feet, aren't we here to keep children safe ? also if a parent asks you to use reins/ backpacks with straps on aren't you supposed to adhere to their wishes? She was told by said minder it would be discussed when she dropped him off she was even taking his own back pack so minder didn't even need to buy one! We were shocked.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I suppose if that childminder isn't pushing a buggy she will have two hands free to hold hands with little ones - I personally would still use reins but they aren't compulsory. The parent can request that the new minder uses reins or backpack version but that is up to her to discuss with her and agree to. I saw a toddler in town last week wriggle out of his mums hand grip and run into the road - luckily not a car coming at the time!

Dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If i'm pushing a buggy I always put reins on my 2 year old even when they hold buggy I hold back of rein whilst holding buggy.
    If i'm just going for a walk (quiet area) and just have 2 children I may not put reins on but carry them with me incase I need to put them one like if child's won't hold my hand.
    Angela x
    Owner of a static holiday caravan in Paignton

4. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

I always use reins for little ones - not just to stop them running off, but also to stop their faces from hitting the pavement if they trip up! I generally have little "bracelets" of bruises on my arms from where the straps hit as they go down. Ouch!

6. Likes watgem, vals, rickysmiths liked this post
    aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I always used reins for anyone out if buggy. Just not worth the risk. I also get them to hold onto the buggy.

8. Likes watgem, rickysmiths liked this post
    Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never used reins on my own children as I can't stand them, but I have no idea if I'd use them with minded children - it would depend how many children I had with me really. So far my youngest is 4 and she happily holds hands. I have a grip of death when it comes to holding hands!

feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

In my situation as I don't drive and walk everywhere I use the little life backpacks, and put a fave toy or drink in it for them. Some of my parents are surprised by this but it means I can keep everyone safe, not have to grip tightly if they don't want to hold hands, or leave a baby in a buggy unattended while I chase a runner, I just feel that it is also fr my peace of mind as me and my family would have to live with the consequneces of a child running into the road for example, reins are just for a short while and for me are worth it to keep everyone safe

11. Likes rickysmiths, smartbear liked this post
    Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I like those little backpacks

13. Likes watgem liked this post
    Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm another fan of back packs, even the most reliable toddler can be distracted by a cat across the road etc and when pushing a buggy too I just wouldn't take the risk.

15. Likes rickysmiths, watgem liked this post
    June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I judge it on the amount of children I have and spare hands I have and their age and skills of walking. I have 2 x 2yr olds and a 12 month old so one of the 2 year olds has to walk from the car to the school everyday. It is the shortest journey in the world but because of the amount of children I have and to ensure their safety, I have 2 in the buggy and one on the rein with the rein attached to the buggy. It give you that peace of mind that they are safe from running away. If they were all going to be in the buggy most of the time I would not have purchased one.

17. Likes watgem liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teacakepenguin View Post
    I've never used reins on my own children as I can't stand them, but I have no idea if I'd use them with minded children - it would depend how many children I had with me really. So far my youngest is 4 and she happily holds hands. I have a grip of death when it comes to holding hands!
    Same as me! I could never ever put reins on my son, reminds me of a dog lead. I would not be comfortable putting them on a mindee either!

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlottenash View Post
    Same as me! I could never ever put reins on my son, reminds me of a dog lead. I would not be comfortable putting them on a mindee either!
    I have the double buggy in use, 2 year old walking, as well as a 5 and 7 year old to watch so a rein is a must to prevent the one off distraction causing serious danger. However, when it is just me and my 2 year old then there is no need to have him on a doggy lead!

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple of the Goldbug harnesses, for use with toddlers.

I would never let them walk along the street without them because as well as traffic, some people manage to fail to notice the small person plodding alongside me and the wrist strap really seems to help with that. Also they love wearing them (to the point of wearing them around the house!) which makes it so much easier.

I am thinking of getting a walkodile though, because toddlers vanishing in different directions while all connected to me it a little bit tricky!

21. Likes watgem liked this post
    Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

Surely as a cm we should be working in partnership with parents? If a parent wants reins to be used the cm should respect their wishes and use them.

I had a very sensible almost 3 year old start with me last year and mum insisted I put her on the reins everywhere we went as she was so worried about anything happening to her, I didn't feel it was necessary but respected her wishes and did it anyway, I kept reviewing it every few weeks until eventually mum felt comfortable enough.

I'm not a fan of reins myself and prefer to encourage the children to hold my hand/ the buggy, but I would not think twice about using them if I had a runner, so far I have been lucky with my children and they have all been good at sticking with me. However we live in a relatively quiet village where the roads aren't very busy - great for getting them used to road safety.

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely hate reins, personal choice and those wrist straps even worse they look like dogs on leads, in 22 yrs Of looking after children I have never used them and non if the children have ever even got hurt, however the need has never arisen where I have felt I have needed them but if I lived on a very busy road and I had a lo who was a lets just let go and run straight across a road type I would consider one and if a parent wanted me to use one I possibly would again if it was a very busy road but if I was doodling through a park lets say then no. X

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do use wrist strap and child holds onto buggy. I was told that should you hold a child's hand and hand is higher than their waist we are committing physical abuse
    Debbie
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmin68 View Post
    I do use wrist strap and child holds onto buggy. I was told that should you hold a child's hand and hand is higher than their waist we are committing physical abuse
    Debbie
    Physical abuse!!!!!! Whoever told you that needs their head checking, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was Ofsted.

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never used reins or harness and like to encourage the children to hold my hand or the pram. I've never had a child run off. We do live in a quiet village so whether it would be different in a busy town I don't know. My ofsted inspector yesterday liked the fact that the children have a bit of independence when walking and that as part of our daily walk home there is a stretch of road that the children let go and walk independently. (It is a very very quiet road, but it reinforces to the children that because they know how to behave next to a road they are allowed this bit of independence) She said lots of childminders are being advised to let the children experience a certain degree of risk taking. If a child is constantly on reins/harness are they being taught to walk safely next to a road or just hurried along?

Saying all that though if a parent had requested reins then I would use them but would also arrange a time for the parent to come on the walk with us so she could see how I do it and show her that it is safe!

Sept 01
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Angela234 View Post
    If i'm pushing a buggy I always put reins on my 2 year old even when they hold buggy I hold back of rein whilst holding buggy.
    If i'm just going for a walk (quiet area) and just have 2 children I may not put reins on but carry them with me incase I need to put them one like if child's won't hold my hand.
    Yes I do this too, better to be safe than sorry xxx

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't used them up Til now on mindees, as only ever had one 1-2 year old at a time and a couple of 3 year olds, I train them to hold the strap on side of buggy (phil and teds..it has a toddler strap and I have added a wrist strap on the other side) I teach them to walk holding my hand or buggy strap then when they are more
    Trustworthy I play 'stop go' with them everytime
    We are out.they run a bit ahead and I shout stop and then go , they love it, it means they aren't too far ahead and they are listening to me ,, I have found in a situation where they really have to stop suddenly they always obey then. However I now have a glut of 1 plus year olds so I am thinking back pack / reins!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast