This article is shocking...
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Simona Guest

Default This article is shocking...

This article is very hard to read but it is another very good reason why childcare MUST not be deregulated.

No lessons seem to have been learnt after Victoria Climbie and Baby P and all that was put in place to safeguard innocent children
    This govt is wrong to deregulate childcare...it does not bear thinking about what could happen in future

BBC News - Daniel Pelka murder: Mother and partner found guilty

I ask that ALL cms on this forum respond to the 'Regulation of Childcare' consultation...don't let it happen...we are a huge numbers and we must make our point

https://www.education.gov.uk/consult...rnal=no&menu=1

2. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure how that story and the childcare register link together?

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You're correct, it is shocking. But what does it have to do with the current childcare changes? I can't figure any link at all.

mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

This and the other rare cases is down to the parents being evil ***** not childcare or childminders????

Simona Guest

No one is saying it is to do with cms...it is to do with being regulated and registered and having a body that responds to any concerns.
    It is to do with being 'trained' to report any concerns and worries

Agency cms will not be regulated like the rest, schools and those who offer wraparound care will have little training or knowledge of child protection and many wil be able to offer those services without being registered at all.

Am I wrong is saying that the first issue cms raised about agencies was 'child protection and safeguarding'? has anything changed?

I am surprised that cms cannot see the connection but of course everyone has their point of view

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

This has made me cry...

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Dec 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Awaiting ins
    Non childminder member
    Trainee childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

It was hard to read :'( on the bbc news website.

The nursery he was at raised concerns so the responsibility now lies with social services.

Ive received my level 1 safeguarding as it was apart of my CYPOP5 course. And isn't it a requirement for all cm to have the level 1 also?

Im a bit confused as to what your point is?
    Amanda's Little Pandas Childminding

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    No one is saying it is to do with cms...it is to do with being regulated and registered and having a body that responds to any concerns.
    It is to do with being 'trained' to report any concerns and worries

Agency cms will not be regulated like the rest, schools and those who offer wraparound care will have little training or knowledge of child protection and many wil be able to offer those services without being registered at all.

Am I wrong is saying that the first issue cms raised about agencies was 'child protection and safeguarding'? has anything changed?

I am surprised that cms cannot see the connection but of course everyone has their point of view
    I saw the connection...it concerns me that the time limit increase has made it possible for anyone to offer childcare for school children...it also worries me that if no one is regulating childcarers then these types of articles will become more and more common
    In my safeguarding training we were told about the numerous occasions that we, as childminders, or other childcare professionals could witness signs and symptoms of any kind of abuse and we must be able to deal with it and report it to the relevant people...if this is not happening, this story will be repeated...if no one is regulating, or training childminders then this has the opportunity to spiral completely out of control.
    Thank you Simona for making us aware of this article x

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

10. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

the article is shocking but it seems to me that the people who were caring for the little boy other than his family were reporting what their concerns were and it was falling on deaf ears. It is about time that when concerns are raised they are investigated properly.

I have however filled in the questions as asked.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

And what about parents who abuse their children but hide behind their 'culture and language'. People are nervous to intervene in case they are labelled as racist.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

13. Likes bindy liked this post
    Dec07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

School notice that this child was underweight, parents state he has an eating problem.
    Would you argue that?? Probably not, but would you......as a human being........
    Think stealing food was NOT a cause for thought?
    Lift the little chaps jumper and check for bruising?
    Call the child's GP and voice your concerns?
    ( even if they can't tell you anything, YOU have raised a concern!!)

What the heck is wrong with this country!!!

We are so fearful of;
    Making a mistake
    Being perceived as racist
    Interfering
    Being nosey

That we become so engrossed in our own denial and fear, that a defenceless child is suffering a brutal and cruel life at the hands of his lying, evil parents!!!!

People need to stop nit picking about political correctness and give us all the freedom to actually speak to and examine these children, as we would our own, if they told us some one had hurt them (how many times have you inspected your own child, when they tell you someone kicked, bit, pinched or punched them??)

We need to stop pussy footing around and ASK children questions!!!!
    All this about not questioning, not asking, not probing is stuff of nonsense!!!

With careful persuasion, this little mite may well have told someone what was happening to him! Instead he was led to believe that his mother and step father were normal parents and that what they did to him was equally normal, as he knew no different!!!!! This is the sad part!!!

ALL children under 18 should be required BY LAW to see a health professional every 6 months and woe betide anyone that quibbles cost or the ability to promote this!!!

Billions of pounds are ploughed into the government through the sale of booze and fags!!!
    Use this money, instead of bulking up parliamentary wages.
    Last edited by FussyElmo; 01-08-2013 at 10:56 AM.

15. Likes N/A, francinejayne, bindy liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    This article is very hard to read but it is another very good reason why childcare MUST not be deregulated.

No lessons seem to have been learnt after Victoria Climbie and Baby P and all that was put in place to safeguard innocent children
    This govt is wrong to deregulate childcare...it does not bear thinking about what could happen in future

BBC News - Daniel Pelka murder: Mother and partner found guilty

I ask that ALL cms on this forum respond to the 'Regulation of Childcare' consultation...don't let it happen...we are a huge numbers and we must make our point

https://www.education.gov.uk/consult...rnal=no&menu=1
    no lessons learned at all! just talking to dh about it. if that child was so underweight and school were reporting concerns all the time, how the hell did this happen - makes me weep
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by emma04 View Post
    School notice that this child was underweight, parents state he has an eating problem.
    Would you argue that?? Probably not, but would you......as a human being........
    Think stealing food was NOT a cause for thought?
    Lift the little chaps jumper and check for bruising?
    Call the child's GP and voice your concerns?
    ( even if they can't tell you anything, YOU have raised a concern!!)

What the heck is wrong with this bl**dy country!!!

We are so fearful of;
    Making a mistake
    Being perceived as racist
    Interfering
    Being nosey

That we become so engrossed in our own denial and fear, that a defenceless child is suffering a brutal and cruel life at the hands of his lying, evil parents!!!!

People need to stop nit picking about political correctness and give us all the freedom to actually speak to and examine these children, as we would our own, if they told us some one had hurt them (how many times have you inspected your own child, when they tell you someone kicked, bit, pinched or punched them??)

We need to stop pussy footing around and ASK children questions!!!!
    All this cr*p about not questioning, not asking, not probing is stuff of nonsense!!!

With careful persuasion, this little mite may well have told someone what was happening to him! Instead he was led to believe that his mother and step father were normal parents and that what they did to him was equally normal, as he knew no different!!!!! This is the sad part!!!

ALL children under 18 should be required BY LAW to see a health professional every 6 months and woe betide anyone that quibbles cost or the ability to promote this!!!

Billions of pounds are ploughed into the government through the sale of booze and fags!!!
    Use this money, instead of bulking up parliamentary wages and other such sh*t
    Watching the news on this is also a reminder of Baby P...same tactics used by the parents 'disguised compliance' by the parents' lack of joined up effort.
    Remember in Victoria Climbie when the cm raised her concerns??
    I had to plough through both 'serious case reviews' at uni for the Child Protection model...it wasn't pleasant.
    It is incredible it is happening again.

The previous Safeguarding guidance, set up after the Climbie case and Lord Laming review was 400 pages and the DfE has 'slimmed it down' to a
    few pages in comparison.

The point I am trying to make is we cannot have 'watered down' regulation...what worries me most is friends and neighbours looking after school children, no checks, no training...just to save a few pounds!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Reading the articles on this it does seems if the problem lies with social services, who were aware of the situation, but were fobbed off by the parents.

It's completely tragic and it's heartbreaking to think about what that poor little boy went through in his short life.

But I fail to see the link between this and the deregulation of childcare. In fact, I find it quite distasteful to use the death of a small child to promote a campaign that has nothing to do with it.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Reading the articles on this it does seems if the problem lies with social services, who were aware of the situation, but were fobbed off by the parents.

It's completely tragic and it's heartbreaking to think about what that poor little boy went through in his short life.

But I fail to see the link between this and the deregulation of childcare. In fact, I find it quite distasteful to use the death of a small child to promote a campaign that has nothing to do with it.
    We are trying to link safeguarding to 'less regulation'
    There is nothing distasteful in highlighting the need for being trained and aware of this issues...many in the EY sector agree on this and their comments support this...

The parents were using 'disguised compliance'...that is where someone with a trained background can intervene and be heard and keep raising concerns including regulated cms!

mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Fact is are the teachers doctors and ss who was involved not trained than??
    These cases as my course last year said are rare cases and the parents do there best to hide and cover hence the food at school excuse
    even if we was to spot something and report it isn't going to change or happen over night it takes ages sadly

Dec 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Awaiting ins
    Non childminder member
    Trainee childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by supermumy View Post
    Fact is are the teachers doctors and ss who was involved not trained than??
    These cases as my course last year said are rare cases and the parents do there best to hide and cover hence the food at school excuse
    even if we was to spot something and report it isn't going to change or happen over night it takes ages sadly
    The way i understand and from what we were told on out safeguarding level 1 course and the eyfs, schools don't have a safeguarding policy like is required of childminders so they probably have their own way of doing safeguarding hence why they believed the parents about an eating disorder.

Social workers receive more robust training so no excuse there.

But like you i was also told theses cases are extremely rare.

As long as we escalate our concerns with our minded children then we have done the right thing and decisions made by higher people is sadly out of our hands.

X
    Amanda's Little Pandas Childminding

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very good
    Post Thanks / Like

So so sad..

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Amandak28 View Post
    The way i understand and from what we were told on out safeguarding level 1 course and the eyfs, schools don't have a safeguarding policy like is required of childminders so they probably have their own way of doing safeguarding hence why they believed the parents about an eating disorder.

Social workers receive more robust training so no excuse there.

But like you i was also told theses cases are extremely rare.

As long as we escalate our concerns with our minded children then we have done the right thing and decisions made by higher people is sadly out of our hands.

X
    Judging by the response from one teacher they do have a policy on Safeguarding...something has gone tragically wrong here
    We must ensure we work together and ALL are trained in child protection and share info.

Dec07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how many "human beings" regardless of their profession, have read that article and said to themselves:
    "it would never happen on my watch"

As I've said time and time again, we don't just need training in how to spot abuse.....but more importantly, how to report it, how to get heard, how to make people do something!

Common sense is giving way to a culture of apprehensiveness and a "shall I or shan't I" attitude!

Maybe I'm different or completely wrong, but I don't care! I would have done everything in my power to make someone listen, I would have avoided the "proper channels" whatever they are where each of us live and which clearly fail some children!!! And yelled until my voice was gone!!

I would've camped out in the police station until they heard me!

Yes the parents were devious and clever, but for the love of God!!! This child was plastered in injuries all over his emaciated body!! How much flipping training do you need to act upon that sight!!!!!

These case are rare as someone pointed out! But so are plane crashes but they're a darn sight quicker in correcting those mistakes and introducing effective legislation to stop it happening again!!!

My blood boils ( as you can tell!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast