crying at home time
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default crying at home time

I have a little girl who cries when it's time to go home. She clings to me and shouts no. I know it's not me she wants (although we do have a good relationship) it's the toys and the garden, my children and the hustle and bustle of my house. She is an only child to a single parent so her house is quiet. I know it upsets mum and I am bit worried that she may take her away and put her in a nursery so that she is not as attached - this is what someone advised her.
    Any ideas what I can do or say to help mum?

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Maybe help the child to manage the transition without crying ... shoes and coat on, lots of positive 'home' stories, praise for being independent, talk about the fun s/he will have at home, let child borrow a favourite game to play at home or similar ... things like that

Post Thanks / Like

Could you try a travelling teddy that she can take home with her.

Post Thanks / Like

Ooh that's given me an idea - I can send a little task home - colouring or something x thanks

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My one year old mindee went through this phase and I know it was getting to mum. We tried to do a no nonsense, quick hand over. Dad came with her some times and he would take the baby from me and then hand him to mum. He didn't get upset this way - maybe he could sense mum's anxiety. I just used to play it down and eventually the phase passed, like all phases do! One thing I did do, was make a huge point of telling mum how he was crying and calling out for mummy when he was ill one day. She was obviously sad that he was ill but I could tell that she was secretly touched by the fact that it was her he wanted in his hour of need. x