OMG im mortified!!!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OMG im mortified!!!!

Had one of the minders mum come to collect her baby and when she said bye to the other children my other mindee replied with 'bye Dick head!' !!!!!!!! She obviously got a telling off and her reply was that 'he says it all the time'( meaning her mums on/off boyfriend )
    We had a long chat about it after and she just seems so confused. She's a sweet girl but she just has bad influences in her life :-/ she's just turned 5.

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear! I feel so sorry for some los when they have bad influences at home, what more can you do but explain that it not nice to use
    sayings like this, but when the hear things like it at home they unfortunately copy.
    Cath

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

One of my mindees has started saying the s**t word a few times. I let him know in no uncertain terms that that wasn't said in this house. I know his mum swears at him at home, I heard her say FFS to him. Really doesn't help when parents are causing the problems

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have had this in the last few months with 2x 3.5 year olds. We have hopefully passed the situation now (with fingers crossed) through short discussion about unacceptable words and then ignoring and not giving them a reaction when I knew they were looking for it. Only took a few days thankfully. They sometimes seem about to say something but I look and they stop - I am soooooooooooo very frightening!! They know what they are saying even at 3

One has a much older brother the other a Mum who uses "colourful" language. It is so difficult when they get these influences at home.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

6. Likes kellyskidz! liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

My son has been known to come home from nursery with a few swear words, isn't always learnt from parents!!

Aug 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Today I had a small girl look at her dolly in the pram and say quite sincerely "this doll is knackered". I just looked at her in horror!

9. Likes hectors house liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They do learn what you find acceptable or don't.

I had one mindee tell her dad after he said something - Fussy doesn't like those sort of words poor man went beetroot and I had to stop myself from laughing.

Poor guy had even said something offensive we think mindee had misheard him
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

11. Likes Maza, Stapleton83 liked this post
    sept 90
    Post Thanks / Like

I am so glad it has ceased raining for a while, my eldest mindee use to say 'look ***** it's pissing down'!!! soooooo glad the other mindee is only just talking!

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 brothers and their daddy is always saying '******', especially as in 'you're gonna get a ****** good hiding'

2yr old said it last week in car, so i just explained Daddies do sometimes say bad words but we dont, they accepted that.

I guess it could be much worse

may 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol! And I was worrying about 2 3 year olds saying 'stupid'. Bless em

15. Likes ziggy liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hollyvilla View Post
    Today I had a small girl look at her dolly in the pram and say quite sincerely "this doll is knackered". I just looked at her in horror!
    I am not sure why this is not acceptable, we use the word knackered as part of our daily language. What am i missing?

Is this just a word that is used differently in different parts of the country? In Liverpool this is a commonly used word to describe being worn out/tired/shattered

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AgentTink View Post
    I am not sure why this is not acceptable, we use the word knackered as part of our daily language. What am i missing?

Is this just a word that is used differently in different parts of the country? In Liverpool this is a commonly used word to describe being worn out/tired/shattered
    It is a normal used word here too

But I know it has a another definition close to tired which can be offensive
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Same here in Edinburgh xx

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well apart from being a word for testicles the knacker man is the one who shoot animals who were too sick. Also a word used by some people in some areas for Irish travellers. And yes it means tired but I would be careful where I said it. One persons every day word can mean something else to another.

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It's one of those funny ones isn't it, like bu**er I often used to call my daughter buggalugs, until my Mum said isn't that a swear word? I also say oh I'm knackered at the end of a long shift but some might find it offensive xx

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My 4 yr old mindee uses the word 'grollocks' to good effect - mum thinks he misheard her once and has picked up on it! luckily she warned me and although it is miss-pronounced for another word we have decided to say 'not to use that word' and then move on with distraction.
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a mindee hear recently who called me S... Head, just in his normal conversation. I know he picked it up and other lovely phases from family members. It seems to be part of many peoples way of speaking. Not here though

Jan '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Im afraid to admit that my then 4yr old daughter last year came in one day after a trip to the supermarket with my husband and asked me what a wonker was??
    she said Daddy shouted wonker to a man in a car as he went through a red light and made daddy swerve. Daddy was mortified!!

It happens but I feel for those children whose parents or whoever close to them choose to use that sort of language in everyday conversation

24. Likes tashaleee liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlottenash View Post
    My son has been known to come home from nursery with a few swear words, isn't always learnt from parents!!
    ah but it is essentially - they teach it to their kids then those kids say it to your kids
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast