forest schools
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: forest schools

Post Thanks / Like

Default forest schools

Anyone any ideas for forest schools type things to do for toddlers? I love this for my 2yr plus but don't want the little ones to be stuck in a buggy. I can't do a mud kitchen at home cos think my husband will have a heart attack at the mess

Registered Childminder since
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What about getting them to go out and look for mini beasts or use the leaves, twigs etc and give them each a selection and see what they can make out of them.

Try making an outside den and asking them to think about how they will do it and then carry out their plans. Other things could include carrying out experiments such as what will happen when you add water to soil and then leave it to dry out so that they can see how it works. Adding water with food colouring to plants with pale flowers and seeing what happens.

Hope that helps.

Sam x

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I am ok for ideas for walkers but its the younger ones I am unsure about doing it with. I feel bad leaving them in the buggy

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have got one of those shell sandpits from Argos - I keep it to use as a ball pool for little ones and add fir cones, sand, bark, gravel for them to explore while others playing in mud kitchen. My mud kitchen is just old plastic one, with selection of old wooden spoons, saucepans, cheap plastic bowls and cups etc in a storage container with lid. It is on bark and I just give the mindees an old planter with compost in to "cook" with.

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What about sensory stuff like touching the leaves, bark, mud etc and letting them get in and dirty with the soil etc.

I have some wooden bowls that I put bits of leaves, bark, pine cones etc in for them to touch and take in and out.

Sam x

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I do the pinecones and leaves. I would love to do the mud. Think it would be great. Might get the paddling pool out and stick soil in. Wait till hubby is out for the day.
    I would like to be out more. Will have to force myself more often. I just feel I should be at groups with them. We prob go out to the woods once or twice a week but we are always ib the garden.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yummyripples View Post
    Thanks. I am ok for ideas for walkers but its the younger ones I am unsure about doing it with. I feel bad leaving them in the buggy
    all in one suits honey. Regatta ones are fab and not to expensive. you can even buy bootees for non-walkers with no shoes. let them crawl to their hearts content
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

8. Likes loocyloo liked this post