Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    May 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Parent querying payment

I started minding a new little one a couple of weeks ago. The first week I was waiting for another mindee to finish so only had him bits and bobs hours and only charged for the hours I had him - not the hours she would eventually need. Last Monday was start of first proper week and (after I had to ask) she paid Monday evening for full week. She worked 3 extra hours which I billed for this week but she was off on Friday. This week is the same extra hours and off on Friday. When she asked about payment I said the amount was full week plus extra hours. She said that as we are still in 4 week settling period surely she shouldnt have to pay for Friday as I didnt work and same for this Friday. I said she still had to pay and I am available to work and parents pay for holidays anyway. She said not in settling in period. Am I right or should I pay her back. God I hate money and thought my parent pack and policies were straight forward enough but obviously not.
    Annie x

Nov 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Parent querying payment

I can't see what difference it makes, settling in period or not she should pay !

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I am aware a settling in period is treated the same as normal. She has still signed the contract with the specified hours and if she chooses not touse those hours then that is up to her!

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

it depends when the ssettling in period is to and from if it is in that period i dont charge if it is out of that period then i would charge.

this is def why i charge in advance so when they change their mind its paid for no hasstle

if it the start of the new contract then if she didnt turn up thats her fault not yours you were their for her so no dont pay anything back.
    One life live it

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

do you all charge in the settling in period? as i have never done this!!!!!

im c p at business i prefer to paint handprints
    One life live it

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rascal View Post
    do you all charge in the settling in period? as i have never done this!!!!!
    im c p at business i prefer to paint handprints
    I don't think it's about the few hours settling in. I think it's concerning the four weeks ( standard on the ncma contract ) untill the full contract kicks in. There is a four week period in which either side can change their mind.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think they're talking about the 4 week "cooling off" period, Rascal, not the taster sessions/getting to know you sessions. The period of time that a contract can be cancelled in before full weight takes effect.

She should definitely still be paying you the contracted hours plus extra, unless you want to knock three hours off the Friday time. Don't blame ya if you don't!
    Why is "phonics" not spelled the way it sounds?

May 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought the 4 week settling in was so that you could change your mind about the child and vice versa re the childminder. Not so you could chop and change your hours about. I kept the Friday free for her child but she told me on Thursday evening she wasnt coming. She was also very late on Wed and didnt pick up until 6.25 instead of 6 o'clock and I was getting picked up for a course by Avril at 6.45 and didnt even get time to brush my hair after I threw my tea down. I didnt charge her double time after 6pm full or part hour even though that is totally clear in my policies. I thought I was being nice. Now I feel crap because I am worrying over money. I hate it. I wont tell you what Dave says it involves telling them to go away
    Annie x

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkles View Post
    I don't think it's about the few hours settling in. I think it's concerning the four weeks ( standard on the ncma contract ) untill the full contract kicks in. There is a four week period in which either side can change their mind.
    sorry you probably think im thick but isnt that the 4 week settling in period, the the real part kicks in, i just want to make sure im doing it right????
    One life live it

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by annie337 View Post
    I thought the 4 week settling in was so that you could change your mind about the child and vice versa re the childminder. Not so you could chop and change your hours about. I kept the Friday free for her child but she told me on Thursday evening she wasnt coming. She was also very late on Wed and didnt pick up until 6.25 instead of 6 o'clock and I was getting picked up for a course by Avril at 6.45 and didnt even get time to brush my hair after I threw my tea down. I didnt charge her double time after 6pm full or part hour even though that is totally clear in my policies. I thought I was being nice. Now I feel crap because I am worrying over money. I hate it. I wont tell you what Dave says it involves telling them to go away
    my hubby wouldnt of been as polite as dave hes still out to meet stingy parents
    One life live it

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Rascal, I hope you are charging your full fees for the 4 week settling in period! I think most of us offer 1 or 2 short (1-2 hour) sessions for free to get young children used to us but anything over and above that, charge as per the contract!
    Why is "phonics" not spelled the way it sounds?

OCT 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you need to make clear to her the settling in period is the same as the normal contract conditions ie hours/days etc the only difference being either side can terminate without notice. Tell her to contact NCMA if you use their contracts. If shes not happy with the hours booked I would allow her to change but only if this was to be a permanent change. I think you need to be quite firm at the start or they walk all over you.

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tatia View Post
    Rascal, I hope you are charging your full fees for the 4 week settling in period! I think most of us offer 1 or 2 short (1-2 hour) sessions for free to get young children used to us but anything over and above that, charge as per the contract!
    the settling in period of mine usually consist of a couple of hours for two weeks then its full pay after that, i had one woman practically move in she was here for 4 hours even now she should leave at 1 and stays til 1.50,

why???????? i try not to get chatting but i think she wants me to have her next one too but i dont want to push her out
    One life live it

aug 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

the 4 weeks is for parents or you to stop childminding all together not to change hours.
    When a parent starts we confirm hours and you need about 4 weeks to make sure they can get to you and some time contract need shortening or it could length but during those 4 weeks they pay me full money with extra if required

If this Mum did not want you to work on Fridays for her she should have said when you signed contracts not the day before. Keep to your contract as she could do this to you again

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

She should pay in full.

On G first day with me, G was poorly so went to Grandma instead.

I still got paid for having her though.

Stick to your guns

Mar 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Definately definately get paid. If it is in your contract that you work on a friday then make sure you get paid for it, settling in period or not you still need to be available just in case she doesn't say you aren't needed on a friday.

Good luck

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would also say you were right. The contracted hours are to be paid from the start of the contract. There is a 4 week period when either party can cancel the contract and stop care with no notice period but the contracted hours are still payable during that time AND any extra hours on top.

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What you've done is right Annie, you don't owe her any money, you are charging correctly as far as I'm aware.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think she's just trying it on to see if you'll back down Stick to your guns a contract is a contract after all. Good luck
    Avril x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Stick to your guns, you are in the right!!

littletreasures

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast