Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: New childminder

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New childminder

Hi there,

I have recently started looking after a little boy who is 2.5 years old, but I'm having a really hard time because he doesn't want to participate in anything. I have tried various approaches, but I'm feeling a bit disheartened as every activity I plan he doesn't like. As a result, I feel that I don't have much to go on when doing observations, because even if I take a step back to allow him to initiate an activity, it only ever results in fighting with another child and never anything constructive. At the moment, my only observations are about trying to fit him into a social environment.

I have always had these images and ideals in my head that the children would sit around a table and actively and enthusiastically take part in activities, but it's not turning out that way. Is it me? Should I be doing something different, or do other childminders experience similar problems.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

M

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not you. Some children need more encouragement than others. All you can do is try your best to involve them and if they show an interest in anything, play on it big time. E.g child likes water, try coloured water warm/cold water, water with ice in it, jugs and cups to pour, floating and sinking objects, water with bubbles, etc etc.

aug 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Definately not you I have been minding nearly 7 years and at the moment have siblings who not matter what I try will not join in , they are 2 & 3 , when we go to a musical group they refuse to join in to the stage I wonder why I go , at the end of soft play we have stories all others sit listen or if we have singing join in .... Not my 2 , they are happy in themselves, they have been coming to me now for 10 months so not new , unsettled. I will continue to try , I have the boys from 6.30 to 5 four days a week