Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default under 5's or over?

Hi,

I have a question - hope people can help.

A parent has asked if I can look after child from September when he will be starting reception. They are not sending the child full-time though as he can do half day sessions apparently and this is what they want him to do as will struggle with long days.

The question I have is - normally the child would be classed as an over 5 (will already be 4 by September) but as they would want me to have them from lunch onwards how does that affect numbers as they wouldn't actually be in full time school??

confused

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGems1970 View Post
    Hi,

I have a question - hope people can help.

A parent has asked if I can look after child from September when he will be starting reception. They are not sending the child full-time though as he can do half day sessions apparently and this is what they want him to do as will struggle with long days.

The question I have is - normally the child would be classed as an over 5 (will already be 4 by September) but as they would want me to have them from lunch onwards how does that affect numbers as they wouldn't actually be in full time school??

confused

thanks
    I think you'll find he'll still be classed as your under 5's until he goes to school full time...

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

To be classed as over 5 years a child has to have had their 5th birthday or be a "rising 5" attending school full-time (mornings and afternoons). So he will still be classed as under 5.

I have 2 children who have birthdays days apart and are the same age one is now classed as 5 as he is in full-time school the other under as her mum has decided not to send her.

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

He is only classed as a rising 5 and outside of your under 5 ratio numbers if he is in school "full time".

Sam x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Children are classed as being in the early years age bracket until the 31st August following their 5th birthday. However, if they are aged 4 or 5 and attend full time school, they can be classed, for the purpose of ratios, as being out of the EY age bracket.

The idea is that if they attend full time school they would only be with you before and/or after school and in school holidays. If they are going to be with you for longer than that, ie. for half a day, they still count in th EY age bracket.

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I agree and that is what I thought as he wouldn't be 'full time' in school. I did put this to mum as I can't do the days as i am full but could just do after school, she is going to see if they will do some days full and some half??? as I only have space after school.

Thanks x

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Not wanting to disrespect anyone but, I was under the impression that a child can be classed as over 5 for ratio purposes if their 5th birthday is in the academic year following their 4th birthday - i.e if he/she is 5 between September 2013 and end August 2014. I wasn't under the impression that children had to attend school full time as not all children do and not all children have to.

I am open to be corrected as I am sure I will be.

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Could you not still have him in the afternoons, under the continuity of care rule? or does this not cover new children?

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bindy View Post
    Could you not still have him in the afternoons, under the continuity of care rule? or does this not cover new children?
    I have his older brother (6 yrs) after school only as i didn't have the space last September for him as an 'under 5' as I already had a variation in place with another sibling family. So he has been going to a private nursery since September but mum asked if I could have both from this September - if I had the space.

Will see what happens!
    Thanks for all replies