Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you do it?

Hi,

This may sound like a weird question but tomorrow I have a 9mth old starting and I currently look after his cousin. They will be arriving at roughly the same time and picked up at the same time. What do you do with them when one of them is being picked up? I have looked after two before but the times they were dropped off and picked up was always different so one would normally be asleep. I have put one of them in a buggy in the hall while one being picked up but don't know whether that will look good. Just wondering what others do. Once the other one is walking it will be easier as can hold a hand and carry the other but until then I am nervous about how to handle pick up and getting them both into the double buggy without having one of them escaping!!

Thanks

melco

Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

dont think having one of them in a buggy waiting will look good, are you able to prop them up with cushions on the floor maybe, or a little seat they can sit in ?

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a rocker or baby walker you can put them in so they're safe? Or a bumbo?

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chriss View Post
    dont think having one of them in a buggy waiting will look good, are you able to prop them up with cushions on the floor maybe, or a little seat they can sit in ?
    Its just I like to have them with me and if they are propped up but cushions they will then be in another room. Don't know whether pushchair or child sitting on floor in hall is good idea either and that's why I don't know what to do.

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Do you have a rocker or baby walker you can put them in so they're safe? Or a bumbo?
    I did have a walker and wish I had a bumbo!! Any other ideas

prereg
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a jumperoo (like a walker but.with no wheels). I have also put the baby i mind in to a highchair with some toys on the tray while i answer the door etc. He enjoys both of these and looks happy and safe. :-)

7. Likes melco liked this post
    Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

I put little ones in highchair with toys at pick up times for others I know they're safe that way and won't get trodden on!

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

What about a travel cot with some toys in to use like a playpen. We have lots of local fb selling groups and can often get Bumbos on there

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Our local childminding group has removed bumbos following safety concerns, I wouldn't be using them now personally....

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieSausage View Post
    Our local childminding group has removed bumbos following safety concerns, I wouldn't be using them now personally....
    I dont use one, but there are several at toddler group. I just googled and the concerns seem to be if people use them in an elevated postion, like the old bouncy chairs, dont use them on a table or bed.

Am interested in hearing if there are other concerns, not that I use them myself but thought they were a good idea

jan 11
    Post Thanks / Like

my own boys both used to arch there backs and fall out of the bumbo onto the floor. i personally would just stick baby on the floor with some toys. the floor is the safest place to be and your house should be child proof. can you see/hear from the front door?? if so thats fine.

x

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

They recalled the bumbos to have saftey belts fitted x

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I just leave mine in lounge while i go into hall to open front door - I leave the lounge door open, the older ones stay put and carry on playing, sometimes the younger ones follow me or I pick up the crawler (his mum comes first) and hand him to her as she comes in. We then go back into lounge to do verbal hand over or if she has boots on that are hard to get off and on, I stand in lounge - she stands on laminate in hall.

Can I just ask why you are worried about them being on floor in hall with you - the mum collecting can pick up hers and you can pick up other one? Are you worried about stairs / being trod on / things they could injury themselves on / hot radiator - if so risk assess each thing and think if there is anything you can do to limit any risks.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure the area you are using for minding is perfectly safe, so i would just let the child have the freedom to carry on playing, or to follow you into the hall. Once you've handed off the first child you will have free arms for the other. Relax, you won't need to confine the children. You'll probably find the whole tjing much more stressful if you try to pin then into something every time.

16. Likes hectors house liked this post
    aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont see anything wrong in leaving them in another room as long as the door is open and the room is safe and you keep checking

If the thought of that makes you nervous , then Id use a travel cot , they are invaluable for using for short periods of time for very young children whilst you do things like , answer the door , cook etc , as long as they have safe toys in there to amuse themselves for 10 minutes then thats fine

I think that would be far better than strapped in a buggy or carried

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like bumbos either, I don't think they are very safe! We have cushi tush seats they are brilliant and are great to keep babies at floor level with the children whilst supporting their backs. So much cheaper than bumbo and you get the tray with it too!

(Taken from their website)
    "The Cushi Tush baby seat is suitable from when baby can support his or her own head weight. The curving contours of the seat naturally promotes good posture and holds your child safe and secure in perfect comfort. Award winning and paediatrician approved the Cushi Tush comes with a tray which locks to the base at 3 points to prevent escapes.

Made from a high density moulded Polypropylene material called ARPRO®."

They are great!
    Rach x

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by melco View Post
    Hi,

This may sound like a weird question but tomorrow I have a 9mth old starting and I currently look after his cousin. They will be arriving at roughly the same time and picked up at the same time. What do you do with them when one of them is being picked up? I have looked after two before but the times they were dropped off and picked up was always different so one would normally be asleep. I have put one of them in a buggy in the hall while one being picked up but don't know whether that will look good. Just wondering what others do. Once the other one is walking it will be easier as can hold a hand and carry the other but until then I am nervous about how to handle pick up and getting them both into the double buggy without having one of them escaping!!

Thanks

melco
    I would just bring them in the hall with me we often have 3-4 children saying hello and goodbye at the door to their friends. (I also had a 12 month old and 9 month old at same time , I just popped them onto the floor and they crawled around.

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rubybubbles View Post

I would just bring them in the hall with me we often have 3-4 children saying hello and goodbye at the door to their friends. (I also had a 12 month old and 9 month old at same time , I just popped them onto the floor and they crawled around.
    I do that too, the children love to wave goodbye to their friends!
    Rach x

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caz3007 View Post

I dont use one, but there are several at toddler group. I just googled and the concerns seem to be if people use them in an elevated postion, like the old bouncy chairs, dont use them on a table or bed.

Am interested in hearing if there are other concerns, not that I use them myself but thought they were a good idea
    My niece tripped over her little sister and broke her nose. We weren't concerned about the seat though just her sense of awareness.

Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Is your hall away from your lounge, is that what you're worried about?
    My hallway is tiny and straight off the lounge, if I have babies/ crawlers I put a stairgate across so I can limit who goes in and out of the hallway but still see and have contact iyswim, so I just leave whoever isn't being picked up in the lounge playing.
    But then my hall isn't big enough for all of us, lol!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast